RJ Spagnols Any concerns with making a 2009 kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coaster

Reaction score
I just found a 2009 White Ice Wine style kit tucked away. The juice looks a bit darker than it's suppose to but I'm going to make it anyway. Any concerns or tips?

That is really stretching the shelf life of a kit, but you only have to invest a buck or so in a fresh packet of yeast and some time. Don't expect too much and you may be pleasantly surprised. Go for it and good luck.

As long as the juice smells and tastes good, go for it.

Might not be a bad idea to get a new set of chemicals, though. Some stuff loses its effectiveness at age.

Last year a couple friends and I bought 9 slections 2008 limited edition kits off a guy that had not made wine for awhile for health reasons . we were a bit leary but for $55 vs 120 each we pulled the trigger

all fermented with no problems, i use new yeast but the other guys used what came with the kit. so far i have tasted 4 of the finished kits (not mine as they are bulk aging) and all are good. 2 even had extra merlot skins added.

it should work out OK so good luck

cheers

The only other thing is to re cap after you have dumped half the juice in the primary and shake the sh$@ out of the bag. I have seen lots of settling even in young kits and rinsing the bag helps re suspend some of it, but it's worth a shake

I had one kit that was over a year old that was bad (the juice looked brownish). They swapped it for another kit made at the same time, and it was terrific. I'm guessing from what I've read that most of the older kits are still fine.

I had one kit that was over a year old that was bad (the juice looked brownish). They swapped it for another kit made at the same time, and it was terrific. I'm guessing from what I've read that most of the older kits are still fine.

I just started a white WE 15L Sav Blanc that looked quite brown, i started it anyway and will know in another couple off weeks how is coming along. It fermented fine and has cleared quite nicely after one week

i did let the store know and they said to keep them informed

Latest posts

Back