Any advice appreciated.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run white tape at 7 feet and electrify it at dark. Deer are not easily dissuaded by the standard fence charger that works great for horse, but they make one for deer that runs the voltage up a good bit (enough to make you wet yourself if you get hold of a wire). The higher voltage tends to make the tape/wire sound alive as it crackles and snaps, which makes the deer unsure of trying to jump the fence. That's the trick, make the deer doubt if the can cross, and they usually don't try. The bobcats don't bother me at night, but the little black and white critters do.

Here is a shot during a fence expansion phase that shows deer standing at a dead man for one of my rows. Everything eats grape leaves!

IMG_1007.JPG

Last edited:
Yup got the same sort of fence charger from Tractor Supply for the same reason. Thing packs a whallop - And yes I do know that from personal experience. I have to run 2 strands frequently 1 for the fawns and one for the adults. I keep my fenced areas narrow so that jumping in is unlikely and would land them against the other side. My trees are in a row so I can run a line on each side and that keeps them out. My blueberry patches are completely covered sides and top for birds with netting that I take down after the season and sometimes put up a a strand of unconnected white fence tape. The garden has wire fence and a high strand un-electrified - so far the deer seem to respect that so far

My fence is seasonal use so That's the reason for the white tape variety. First time I ran straight wire the deer ran throw it after they go hit. Guess they didn't see it?

This year the ground has been damp enough to make the effectiveness better too. That's something else I've noticed in my fence checks. (I brush a long sleeve shirted arm against the live fence.) Damp soil and I'm getting a full hit. Dry soil and I feel it but more of a prickle than a muscle convulsing whack.
Worst electric fence hit - made the mistake of touching the fence (Accidentally) while kneeling on wet grass.
Most aggravating fence hit -I bent over to pick something up and my backside made contact. DOH !

As to the black and whites. We used to have a Silky Terrier and when I walked her at night I had to use a flashlight to avoid any encounters. I used a 25ft leash line and had to watch her. That terrier blood made her unafraid of any size critter and at least once I stopped her with the lock button as she charged out after a black & white. That would have been a really really ugly experience.

To keep with a wine discussion.... :D

Just bottled 9 bottles of Peach-Riesling
Will be bottling Blueberry this coming week. Also a small batch of Apple from last years apples. Aged 12 months now. Still waiting on 5 gallons of Peach to clear and it's at 11 months of age. I have a Plum that is only 45 days old that is clear enough to bottle but need to let it age at least another 6 months before I think about that. (Assuming I have the patience to wait that long.) It already tastes great with very little sharpness at that young age.)

Last edited:
Thanks,

Ferment just finished on a Mango Pineapple.

It was whim - walking through the store looking for white grape juice concentrate to sweeten a blueberry wine - saw bags of Mango chunks. Thought stirred. Then next to the White Grape frozen juice was a can of Pineapple juice - THE Brain said - hmmmm like that idea. Mangos and pineapple. A wine or a mixed drink - I'll go with a wine for now. The one gallon batch finished fermenting in 72 hours !!! Noticed that 6 1/2 lbs of mango is a little shy when mixed with a full 12oz can of pineapple frozen concentrate. Should have had 8-9 lbs. OH and 4 cups of solid lees from the batch. Fortunately I expected that much and planned ahead with volume increase and SG increase.

Back