Anti-Oxidant

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi In The Pines

Reaction score
Both the recipes for apple wine from juice and apple cider from juice say you need to add anti-oxidant. What is that and does George sell it, because I cant find it on the website or other wine websites. Please clarify. THanks.

K-meta. Potassium Metabisulphite. Yes, George sells it. I should have my new supply in today. You can use the same chemical in tablet form also, much easier. Either add 1/4 tsp. to 6 gallons must, or 1 campden tablet per gallon of must. Crush the tablets well and add to a cup of warm must and mix well, then add. Either one, stir it in very well. 12 hours later add pectic enzyme. 12 hours later add your yeast starter.

It is an antioxidant. Ascorbic acid, or vitamin C, is also. It cannot be used in place of K-Meta, however.

ok, so now I understand that K-Meta is an anti-oxidant. Now the recipe on Georges site for the Apple Cider-From Juicecalls for 1/8tsp of K-Meta and 1tsp of anti-oxidant. So, do I add a total of 1-1/8tsp of K-Meta per gallon?? or should I use something else as a anti-oxidant??

I think the 1 tsp measure is asking for ascorbic acid, but I wouldnt worry about it. Just add the 1/8th tsp K-Meta.

Latest posts

Back