Anti Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SIXTO

Reaction score
Last night I went toa local bar where I am good friends with the owners son. Howeverthe father grows grapesand makes his wine from scratch. So I approached him and told him I was making wine and would like for him to try some. Without a glitch he ask (in a non caring way) was it a kit? I told him yes. Basically he just walked away.I felt disrespected. Has anyone ever meant someone like this who I guess is anti kit?

This is the first person I have ever meant that is a ignorant wine maker/drinker...

Sixto, almost everyone knows a wine snob and has their own version of the incident you just related. Don't let it get you down and, instead, concentrate on making the best wine you can from your kits. Take comfort in knowing that their are other wine snobs who would likely have the same reaction to homemade wine offered by your friend's father!

You have nothing to be ashamed of and, as far as I'm concerned, one less person drinking my wine is that much more left for me to enjoy!

You would be surprised at the number of wine makers just like this. My wife has a saying "I would rather make bad wine from scratch than good wine from a kit!"

Several years ago, we participated in blind taste test in the local wine making club where there is a definite bias against kit wines. There were27 wines, most from scratch. At the end of the tasting, my 9 month old Lodi Old Vines Zin came in second. The room was rather quite after that!

I've ran into this attitude a lot and I just don't understand it. A kit is basicallysomeone taking over the wine making after the crushing step. My friend's uncle has the same attitude and here's what happened when I opened a bottle of his strawberry wine not too long ago: I was hit with awonderful aroma of strawberries... right before the wine turned brown in the glass.

Who here can say that their first kit wine was as good as their last one? I sure can't. My kits continue to improve as my knowledge andexperience grows.

Forget that guy Sixto!

I would say that wine is personnal taste SIXTO. Weather you like red's or white's, dry or off dry, Italian wine, French wine, Wine from spain, South America or California, Fresh Grape or Kit, it's all personal taste. Because we like our Kit wines, he doesn't have to, as we don't have to like commercial wines.

jobe, I'm glad you mentioned commercial wines because I think my kits are better than a lot of commercial wines. Of course, I'm a bit biased..
smiley20.gif

Maybe the guy had a bad day at his winery....some people are just pompous asses...think you met a dandy....
he needs some medication.

sangwitch said:
jobe, I'm glad you mentioned commercial wines because I think my kits are better than a lot of commercial wines. Of course, I'm a bit biased..
smiley20.gif

Sang: Glad you brought that up.....................

I feel the same way!
smiley32.gif
smiley4.gif

Sixto, maybe you could try to get on his good side, more for your friend than him. Tell him you are intrigued by his ability to grow his own grapes and make his own wine and that you wish you were good enough to do it to. He might friendly up to you and give you a few pointers that apply to winemaking in general. If he came around enough , maybe on a visit you could uncork a bottle and share with your friend. The father might come around and have to try a bit. He might get an education on how good a kit wine can be. If not, it's his loss.......

He may not have tried a kit wine in many years, I've heard thatkit wines werepretty bad many years ago.
Dave

Sixto, I'd be honored to try a bottle of your kit wine.
smiley17.gif
We drink way too much wine to worry about if you squeezed the grapes yourself or not. Maybe he feels it's not really home made if you don't squeeze the fruit yourself. Send me his!
smiley2.gif

Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18

Get used to it. It can be funny. I have a similar story. Our Uncle who we now live with wanted to send someone a bottle ofwine. He told the housekeeper to go buy a bottle. He didn't want to give someone a bottle of homemade wine as there was no way it could be as good as a commercial wine. He drank some White Zin that is like $20.00 a bottle.

After we moved in and all of my wine is here, he can't believe the steady stream of people begging for a bottle. The guy he bought the bottle for refuses to drink a commercial White Zin now after he tasted the Wine Expert Selection kit. This guy is one of the biggest overall snobs around. I personally can't stand him. He is one of those guys that can't decide which Rolex to wear to watch the yard guy cut his grass. He loves kit wine though.

Smurfe

Latest posts

Back