WineXpert Another Newbie in Trouble

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now everyone knows where "Waldo" is. I have just taken my first stab at making my own wine and my first effort is with peach. I purchased a can of Vinters for my fruit and kicked off the primary fermentation 3 days ago with everything the recipe called for except for tannin, which I did not have. Anyway, into the 3rd day now and I have very little foaming going on. Barely discernable ammount of foam but I do see some "bubbling" action. Have I goofed....any fixes or just dump it and try again? Edited by: Waldo

Hi Waldo!

Yes, we certainly know where you are! Welcome to thenicest forum on the net!

You're doing fine. And so is your wine. I am sure when look at the wine tomorrow morning, you will find it foaming.

Where are you located? What's the temperature that you have your must at? Temperature is quite important. Too cool (which I doubt is the case) or too warm may be the culprit, but doesn't have to be.

Let us know, although I am pretty sure it'll be fine (and so will you!)!

Martina

It isin my wifes washroom...typically around 75-80 degrees until the dryer is fired up. Then it gets somewhat warmer.

Racked peach this evening. It is clearing nicely and hopefully some day I will have some good Peach wine..maybe around New Years of "07"
smiley36.gif

2005-10-05_180241_peach_racked_100505.jpg

I am going to adhere to advice given from those who know and let it age. The benifits will be well worth the patience. I would liken it to taking 5 dollars and putting it in a savings account for a year and if you leave it alone, in a year it will be worth 500.00
smiley1.gif

Peachhas clearednicely. ( I Think) I am wanting to bottle it this weekend as I need my carboy really bad but not sure if it is ready for bottling. It looks really clear but I did the flashlight test on it and I can see the beam of light in the wine. Doesn't that mean it is not cleared yet? There is absolutely no sediment in the carboy that I can detect with my eyes.

2005-10-20_173931_peach_102005.jpg

It is very normal for peach wine to not have any more sediment and remain hazy indefinitely. I filtered my last peach batch through #1 and then #2 Mini-jet pads a month apart and it took all the haze out and was very clear when botted. Here's the kicker...less than 6 months after bottling all the bottles had sediment in them of a light brown color. At the time, the wine tasted horrible. I have 2 bottles left and it is the best wine ever, with the sediment. I have heard apricot and other stone fruits will behave the same way as wine. Stone fruits would include cherries and plums.

Took a tally this morning and I think I may have my problem solved. My Port will be ready to bottle Saturday so that will free up a 3 gallon carboy. I can then rack my Muscadine/Grape into the 3 gallon carboy and 3 gallon jugs which will give me the carboy I will be needing for my Shiraz soon. That will allow me to let the Peach continue bulk aging. At least until I start another new wine
smiley36.gif

I would try Super-Kleer or Claro K-C 2 part fining, if Iwas in a hurry. I think they might be the same thang. The wine will age better in the bottles, is my latest epiphany. As long as they are absolutely clear and stable.

I have been thinking of using bentonite in the must just like the kits do and then sparkaloid at stabilizing like the kits.

I have a Claro K-C kit Hippie so I might go ahead and try that.

Thanks

Wine ages faster in bottles than in bulk. I think I remember seeing that on
the forum somewhere.

All I know is it just don't seem to get any better as long as it is in the carboy, but at least it gives you time to make sure it is ready to bottle.

Do you think that a cold stabilisation would help matters, it may quicken the precipitation of the sediment.

Was the sediment the fluffy cloudy type, or crystal like?

I got rid of a haze last year from a plum wine by bunging it in the fridge for a couple of weeks, and I am having to do the same this year with a plum that just will not clear using finings.

Photo diary here

http://www.winesathome.net/forum/showthread.php?t=135

regards

Bob

Edited by: lockwood1956

Well hello there Big Daddy Bob!

Very good advice indeed from cross da pond!

smiley20.gif

Latest posts

Back