Another Newbie - Add Test Back to Primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaJinAK

Reaction score
I am finally getting around to trying my first attempt at Dragonsblood. It will be interesting as I am working in a pretty cool climate.
First question, when you test the SG, do you dump the liquid from the tube back into the primary or just toss it?

Thanks!
Jules

Drink it or toss it but never back in. Consider your fermenter a sealed environment and introducing anything that went outside is likely to spoil it so dropping the test back in, IMHO is a big no-no.

I do most of my readings with the hydrometer in the bucket. However, being as frugal as I am, when I do take my measurement in lets say my wine thief I will return the wine to the carboy. All has been sanitized and only the very top of the hydrometer is touched with my fingers.

As others have said, as long as you sanitized it can go back in.

Thanks for the responses. I did sanitize so should be okay adding it back.
One more question, I added all of my ingredients this morning (except yeast) and it smells kind of strong? Don't know how to describe it. I read where the yeast nutrient can have that smell. Will it go away? I guess I didn't know what to expect with regards to smell in the beginning. I had pictured fruits and berries and wonderful smells like that !!;)

JaJinAk, your wine will go thru various smells and tastes as it becomes wine and as it ages. Just make sure it never smells like vinegar!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back