Another Mead Idea

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hartm

Reaction score
It seems I get my next idea for a mead after I get one started. I'm thinking about making a mead using Star Anise as a spice. I will probably use the Buckwheat honey since I have plenty left from my blended honey (and it tasted awesome).

I would add the star anise and some other spices after the fermentation is over to just infuse the mead with the flavor.

What do you think?

Sounds like you are hooked!

Actually adding spices to meads is a great idea and this sounds like another fine mead idea. Have you picked up The Compleat Meadmaker yet? It is a fantastic book with a couple of really terrific and very popular recipes, like my apple cyser (Fall's Bounty Cyser is the name). You can find my posts here http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8265
VC

I did get "the Complete Meadmaker". It is a great resource. I'm planning a cyser this fall, too. I'm waiting for the local farms to start producing Honey Crisp Cider. It is really good.

I got the star anise idea when I made venison stew a few days ago. I used star anise and cinnamon in the stew. It was a great combination and I thought it would go well with the honey.

My wife thinks I'm nuts since I'm planning a bunch of these meads when I'm not sure if I sill like them. I told her "This is my new hobby, this is what I do". Besides, I'm working on 1 gal batches which is a good size to experiment on.

Don't get discouraged on meads! Some of them take a long time to get good, especially those with buckwheat honey! I've had some meads take about 3 to 4 years to become quite good. Just leave them if they are not to your taste, and usually, they come around.

Latest posts

Back