WineXpert Another First Batch Crisis Story

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowagage

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am making my first batch right now, and I saw something really strange just after racking my wine into the carboy for secondary fermentation. It is sort of those "OH NO" moments. I've been reading these stories off this message board ever since I placed my order from this website. I didn't forsee posting one myself.

Floating on top of the wine in the carboy was a confetti size piece of paper. It wasn't absorbing the liquid, so it must have had some waxy or synthetic coating.

I have no idea what it was or how it got in there, but there it was. I wanted it out of there as soon as possible.The neck of the carboy is so skinny, you really don't have any room to wiggle your fingers to scoop something up with a spoon. Furthermore, I just finished cleaningmy work area andall my tools, so I really didn't feel likeracking some wine with with the paper back into the primary and all the cleaning/sanitizing involved in that. I was eventually able to getthepiece of paperout by holding it in place with the tip of the wine thief (cleaned and sanitized of course), then quickly plunging it into the wine, sucking up the piece of paper. Surprisingly, I got it on my third try.

Right now, I am in the aftermath of wondering how long that small piece of paper has been in the wine, and the effects. Before using each vessel, I gave both the bucket and carboy long washes, scrubbing every square inch by hand/brushwith cleaning solution and sanitizing solution. Since it was floating at the top, I amhoping it somehow fell into the carboy right after racking, and it wasn't in there long. If it went through primary, I am thinking that would be very bad.

I guess I'll find out in a couple months.

Below represents my emotional progression through the crisis.

smiley3.gif
- Surprise

smiley7.gif
- Anger

smiley5.gif
- Confusion

smiley19.gif
- Depression

smiley12.gif
- Hope

With this post, I have added another chapter to the "First Batch Horror Stories." In another year, George might have to make another forum category dedicated to it.

Thank you for reading my saga. I'm all ears for any comments.

Regards,

Gage

Gage: Welcome to the forum and welcome to a wonderful hobby. I think you will be fine, and also your wine. Not the best thing to have happen, but it happens from time to time. I had a small peice of paper towel end up in a carboy once. It must have gotten stuck to the bottom of the bung when I took the airlock off, and dislodged when reapplied and the paper towel dried off enough to fall in. I was able to suck it into a siphon tube to remove it, the wine was just fine, as Im sure yours will be. Good luck and keep us posted.

I have to agree with jobe05 and say relax and welcome to the forum. A small piece of paper most likely will not cause any harm and please don't worry too much about it. We as home wine makers are absolutely much more anal about sanitation compared to a real winery who pick grapes along with many other unwanted things and ferments all of it.

Glad to have you aboard and please keep us posted of your progress of the confetti wine!
smiley36.gif

Hi Gage and welcome to this forum. These people have probably seen,
done, or heard of every misfortune there is to be had, including mine
in the last 2 weeks, UG. They can walk you through just about any
problem you can throw at them unless its too late. So dont be afraid to
ask the question first if unsure and read directions and
be very clear on what they say. I just screwed up 2 batches because I
read a can of wine fruit base wrong, Bummer.

Latest posts

Back