Another degassing question but just need to make sure

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tysfoot

Reaction score
Hi,
I am just trying to finish degassing my wine before i add the clarifier, i am making the kenridge 30 bottle white zinfendel

It says in the instructions to stir 6-8 times to completly degass the wine over 2 days, but i have done the little fill the wine bottle up and put your thumb over the top trick and i can still see small bubbles rising to the top
Now i have been very vigirously stirring about 15 times now over the last 4-5 days to try and stop these bubbles, i stir by whipping and shaking the carboy very vigirously for 3-5 mins at a time.

I just need some clarity on this matter, i am right in thinking these bubbles are very very tiny that look like bubbles you see rising to the top in a pint of lager.
When i shake the bottle i get about 30 bubbles in total (not a whole lot) for about 2-3 seconds

I have searched countless number of forums and pages and looked at loads of youtube vids but i wish i could see what the thumb over top of wine bottle trick would look like once degassing has finished

My SG are fine and my temperapture is 70 degress

Thanks guys

70 degrees is just on the cool side for de-gasing. Many believe you should try to be at 74 degrees. you can use a brew belt or heating pad to warm up the wine to 74 and de-gas again.

That being said; my experience is that some wines never 100% pass the "shake the bottle test" but are in fact quite still (no gas). You can (should) also employ the taste test. In your mouth does it feel like pop wine or fine wine? If you plan to bulk age the wine for a few months in a carboy it will continue to gas off on it's own. Some of the smart folk will chime in soon.

I agree with Tony. Even water in a bottle and shaken will produce some bubbles. (Try it with a bottle of commercial wine and you will see it also produces some.)
Taste it to see if there is any fizz left. If not, it is ready to go.

Latest posts

Back