Amount of Chitosan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you buy a FWK, it come with a 75ml pack of Chitosan. That’s about 2.5 ounces. If you buy a bottle of chitosan the directions are to add 1 ounce to 6 gallons. That’s quite a difference. Which is correct?

Is it the same formulation of chitosan? Chances are we can't determine that.

Assuming they are the same, I'd go with vendor instructions, instead of an end user's idea. Kit vendors are end users, even if they are not the ones actually pouring the chitosan in.

Given my experiences in the last year or so, I'm leaning towards no fining agent OR less than specified. If you're going to bulk age at least 6 months, you can try skipping the K&C. You can always add it later if you decide you need it.

Is it the same formulation of chitosan? Chances are we can't determine that.

Assuming they are the same, I'd go with vendor instructions, instead of an end user's idea. Kit vendors are end users, even if they are not the ones actually pouring the chitosan in.

Given my experiences in the last year or so, I'm leaning towards no fining agent OR less than specified. If you're going to bulk age at least 6 months, you can try skipping the K&C. You can always add it later if you decide you need it.

For years I never used a fining agent. I only started using K&C after reading about it on this discussion page. Now that I have seen different opinions I think it’s most appropriate in white wines. I bulk for 11-12 months anyway.

Back