WineXpert Ambient temperature for secondary ferment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexmor

Reaction score
I've just racked my first kit for secondary fermentation, and was checking the instructions. I didn't see anything about keeping the temperature in a certain range like you need for primary. Am I missing something? Second, if not, what is the recommended maximum temp for secondary. It's the time of year here in San Diego when it can get up in the 80's during the day, but usually cools off substantially in the evening. I hate to use my air conditioning unless I have to.

The optimum temperature for the completion of the fermentation in the secondary is the same as the primary...65-75 degrees Fahrenheit.

Thanks for the quick reply, Masta. I guess that air conditioning expense is one more to work into the equasion whether these kits are "cost effective". If the wine is as good as you all say [I'm eager to find out], it should be.

Is it also necessary to maintain temp below75 after secondary and prior to bottling? [After bottling, I have a 200 bottle chilled wine case, with only a hundred bottles in it.]

Beforemy vines mature and start producing fruit,I plan to convert part of my garage into a temp controlled winery/cellar, but that is at least a year away.

Maintaining a fairly consistent temperature for your wine is important as large swings in temp is not good. I would try to keep the temp below 80 until it is in the bottle and can be placed in the chilled wine case.

Latest posts

Back