Mosti Mondiale Am I stuck??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James

Reaction score
MM Meglioli LE Cabernet sel Veneto

Pitched the yeast per instructions exactly one week a go. Recorded SG at 1.092 and must temp about 73 degrees F. It took a full 2 days before there were any signs of fermentation and then when it did start it was slow/ not very active. Now at day 7 SG is at 1.03. Fermentation is very slow but still present.

This is an expensive kit and I don't want to loose it. Please give me ya'lls thoughts.

I just racked the Meglioli Saniovese Toscano and put it up for storage. It was my last kit and it had one the most active fermentations I have seen in a kit.

Thanks for the help.

James

There are many variables that will make a slow or fast fermentation James. The temp, type of yeast used are just a few of the examples and are the most common that will cause such a difference. As long as its fermenting you are fine. Hot temps will cause a very active fermentation but above 75 is not advised but 80 is acceptable. 70 is the low end of the the heat index per most kit instructions and if your temps are lower than the instructions suggest I recommend raising the temp a little with some kind of heat like a brew belt or a lamp. Some yeasts are very active and cause a lot of foam and some do not foam up and just cause the sizzling sound like a soda pop if you put your ear up to your fermenter. If the temp is fine then just leave it alone and go by SG on istructions and dont worry about how many days it says as thats just a suggested time to give a new winemaker an idea of how long it takes but is not to accurate all the time. Use the hydrometer as this is your tool for knowing when to do what needs to be done.

I'd take the SG once a day over the next few days and see if it is truly a stuck ferment (no decline in SG) or just a slow fermenter. If the latter, I'd be patient. I am not a kit expert, but if it were a non-kit wine I might add some yeast nutrient and stir the must. I'd make sure the must temperature was not too high or low for the yeast. If it got too high or low, it could kill the yeast. If it is truly stuck, I'd probably draw a liter of juice and add yeast nutrient and a strong fermenting yeast like Lavlin EC-1118 to restart it, doubling the volume over time (see other posts on restarting stuck fermentations).

James this kit sounds like it is progressing pretty much on schedule. 7 days fermenting isn't long. I would do as the others say and check the SG every day. If you are supposed to rack to secondary at about 1.020 you don't have long to wait. If you have an airlock on the primary it restricts the oxygen to the yeast during initial startup. I bet you will be ready to rack in a day or two. When you rack you will be stirring up the yeast some(not intentionaly unless directions say to) and introducing a little oxygen(not bad at this point). This will stimulate the secondary fermentation more and it will probably finish up on schedule per the MM instructions. First and foremost follow the directions as closely as you can and it should be fine.

Thanks guys. I will be patient and let you know how it progresses.

I tend to jump the gun when these things don't happen like I think they should.

James

Checked SG this morning and it is 1.01. I will rack to secondary when I get home from Chruch.

It seems like the last time I posted anything it was this same type situation and it seems like all of the answers were the same- "have patiants my son."

I just need encouragement every now and then.

James

And that, James, is why we are here. You're not alone in this, we're all right here.

Back