Master Vintner Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstnh1

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with these kits? I've made plenty of WE kits, but this is the first Master Vintner I've tried and I'm running into issues I have never seen. Instructions say to add yeast energizer when SG drops to 1.040 - 1.050. It's now day 7 and the SG, which started at 1.092 is still hanging in there at 1.078. Usually by this time, my SG is down well under 1.000. It's a Chardonnay. Room and must temp started out at 68°. Fermentation started on day 3 and has been very active since then.

your must temp is slowing the fermentation, should be no problem . just monitor the sg reducing. can add yeast energizer now since it is a cool slow ferment.

your must temp is slowing the fermentation, should be no problem . just monitor the sg reducing. can add yeast energizer now since it is a cool slow ferment.
I wondered about that. But I have fermented whites at 68 - 70 and never had it go this slow. I guess I'll go ahead and add the yeast nutrient and let it go from there.

I am in the process of making a Master Vintner Pinot Noir (my first time making wine). My must fermented really quickly due to hot room conditions 80+ degrees the first couple days. Switched to using a plastic tub filled with water + bottle of ice to keep it at 65 right now after fermentation. One thing weird about my kit is that the PH and TA was totally out of wack. I had to add some calcium carbonate and potassium bicarbonate to bring it back in line. It started at PH 3.04 and TA 8.18 and I adjusted it to PH 3.3 and TA 6.75. Kinda surprising considering it is a kit wine (unless I am missing something and that was normal).

Fermentation also produces heat. If the ambient temperature of the room is 68* the wine should be a good bit warmer.

Latest posts

Back