Alternative degassing method

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phelpsmeister

Junior
Reaction score
Saw this video recently and wondered if anyone had tried it, or saw any obvious issues with degassing like this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjL80hXkHdI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjL80hXkHdI[/ame]

Never done it but that's not very many bubbles. Must take forever if that's all he gets out of it.

Most ingenious way to degas I've found yet was on here. A chemist showed how to sheet degas, which is just holding the siphon tube on the side of the carboy so the wine flows down the side and gives up its CO2 from the sheeting action. Amazingly effective, requires no new equipment. Let me see if I can find that thread.

I had done this years ago however its easier with a vacuum pump (more efficient too) or by splash racking once at the conclusion of fermentation. With large number of carboys you want to degas quickly and move on, not drag it out over several days.

However not having a vacuum pump or want to splash rack this is one avenue you may use.

I think he mentions that he had already done it a few time before he shot the video, which is why there were fewer bubbles. I am curious on the method you mention as well. If you do find the thread please link!

Found it! Turns out the guy's an engineer, not a chemist. Here ya go:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f6/falling-film-degassing-36757/

I do this all the time now, and simply follow up later with a drill and hanger. Low tech, get-r-dun!

I do not vacuum rack. I do mine with gravity, but the same principle of sheet racking.

Steve sells an accessory for his AllInOneWinePump which does this. I racked a batch this weekend and it worked amazingly well. With all the CO2 gone, the wine started to clear in just a matter of hours.

The VacuVin method works, but it is a lot of work, IMO. I have one, but really just treat it as a test mechanism to see if any gas remains.

I'm so low-tech I don't even use the curved tube, I just hold the tubing over against the side of the carboy. :h

He talks faster than I can hear. I agree will all, the vacuum pump is the best.
Semper Fi

Saw this video recently and wondered if anyone had tried it, or saw any obvious issues with degassing like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjL80hXkHdI

Iv seen this on youtube. Seems like this would take forever at the rate the gas is coming out. Iv done the sheet racking. did it on my black and blue was a little worried about all that oxygen exposed wine but if the CO2 is coming off Im not sure there is a lot of oxygenation taking place. I will find out when I crack open my first bottle in 6 months. If its true and works this well I dont see how anything can be more simple then that. Your racking anyways and no added expense of equipment at all.

Last edited:
Iv seen this on youtube. Seems like this would take forever at the rate the gas is coming out. Iv done the sheet racking. did it on my black and blue was a little worried about all that oxygen exposed wine but if the CO2 is coming off Im not sure there is a lot of oxygenation taking place. I will find out when I crack open my first bottle in 6 months. If its true and works this well I dont see how anything can be more simple then that. Your racking anyways and no added expense of equipment at all.

The outgassed CO2 fills the carboy and so you are good on that front. Using gravity and just sheeting it by holding the tubing over to the side, I was amazed at the amount of CO2 that had left the wine when I subsequently used a drill to degas. That started me doing it all the time. I still drill degas to be sure.

The outgassed CO2 fills the carboy and so you are good on that front. Using gravity and just sheeting it by holding the tubing over to the side, I was amazed at the amount of CO2 that had left the wine when I subsequently used a drill to degas. That started me doing it all the time. I still drill degas to be sure.

I can see this I really can. I did the drill too but on my last rack I sheet racked it and it just felt like the right thing to do. I Had never even heard of it till you just posted this. Thanks. I was a little worried but its just made sense to do it that way

Latest posts

Back