Altering a kit red wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kryptonitewine

Reaction score
I am getting ready to start a red wine kit from Midwest. As I'm sure this isn't the fanciest of reds I am thinking of aging it with oak. I want to age a minimum of 6 months. When do I add the oak and how long should I leave it in there? Should I make any other modification? I'm assuming I don't stabilize until after the aging is complete.

Would be nice to know what kit you have. Did it come with any oak? Or are you planning on changing the oak to something else?

Steve

It's a WE vintner reserve "coastal red" that came in a groupon starter kit. No oak came in the box but I think this needs to be kicked up a notch. Maybe I'm wrong as this will be my first kit.

Welcome to WMT and good luck with the kit. "Coastal Red" is a brand rather than a variety. but it seems to be a fairly light red. For that reason, I'd be careful on adding oak and wouldn't go crazy with the oak, preferring something mild.

Last edited:
Thanks Tont. That helps a lot.

Note that I edited my response. I originally suggested adding oak chips to the wine, but decided to take that out. I'm concerned that your wine is too mild and oak chips will add a harshness to the wine. Your instructions say not to rack out the sediment until after clarifying, which means the wood will stay in the wine for longer than I think is advisable. For that reason, I believe you're better off adding wood cubes at the end of the process. Let them stay for 2 months, then test.

Last edited:
Back