All you Minnesotans

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is getting to be quite a few of you folks from Minnesota here now. Is anyone attending the Minnesota Grape Growers Association Conference this year. It is being held Feb 14,15, and 16 in Bloomington, Minn. at the Holiday Inn.

It could be a great source of information for you all if you grow or have considered growing grapes. Here is a link to the conference brochure and agenda. If anybody goes, take notes and post a summary here somewhere, maybe in the Home Vineyards Forum.

http://mngrapes.org/?page_id=31

http://mngrapes.org/pdf/CONFERENCEAGENDA.pdf

What a bummer that we didn't know about this a few weeks ago.
smiley19.gif
We are going to visit a friend in Wisconsin and meet Hannabarn and his wife. I did bookmark the main page though and this may be something to do next year.

Dang, why isn't it this weekend??? I had to come down to the Twin Cities unexpectedly for a funeral and back to back with that my niece is opening a photography studio with a big to do tonight. I have to be back down here next weekend to leave for a business trip to So. Carolina for the next week, and besides the conference starts midweek, can't take the time out of work for that. Though I would love to, and Honey would enjoy the vineyard side of it as we do grow some grapes and he's wanting to expand the fruit production generally on the property - grapes included. Hopefully they may have conference highlights or presentation material available afterwards ....??...

From what I hear they do put on an excellent conference evey year. We have a number of them in NY also with Cornell's involvement in grape research. Unfortunately they are midweek also and a few hundred miles away. I may go to Kingston in the Hudson Valley on the 29th of this month. That looks like a pretty good one also.

<DIV align=center>2008 Hudson Valley Commercial Fruit Growers' School -

<BLOCKQUOTE>8:30 - 9:00 AM Registration. Sign DEC Re-certification roster.</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>9:00 - 9:05 AM Welcome. Steven McKay, Extension Educator, Cornell Coop. Extension HVRFP, Hudson, NY</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>and Michael Migliore, President HVWGA</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>9:05 - 9:15 AM Verasion to Harvest program. Dr. Tim Martinson, Cornell University, Geneva, NY</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>9:15 - 10:15 AM Concurrent Sessions: Cultural Practices/Industry Advances Year in Review
<BLOCKQUOTE>Option 1 - Wine Grapes</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>John Hudelson, Dept. of Hort. Sci., Cornell Univ., HVL, Highland, NY and Steve</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>Lerch, Dept. Hort Sci., Cornell Univ., Geneva, NY</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>Option 2 - Table and Juice Grapes</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>Tom Waz, Manager, Lawrence Orchards, Steven McKay, Extension Educator,</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>Cornell Coop. Extension HVRFP, Hudson, NY, and others</BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>10:15 - 10:30 AM Handling Nursery Stock/Planting Nursery Stock. Nursery Rep, TBA</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>10:30 - 10:50AM IPM TRAC. Dr. Julie Carroll, Fruit IPM Coordinator, Cornell University, Geneva, NY</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>10:50 - 11:20 AM Grape Entomology in the Hudson Valley. Peter Jentsch, Dept. of Entomology, Cornell Univ., Highland, NY</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>11:20AM - 12:00 PM Bunch Rots, Stem Necrosis, Grape Leaf Roll Virus vs K Deficiency. Dr. Wayne Wilcox and Dr. Marc Fuchs, Department of Plant Pathology, CornellUniversity, Geneva, NY</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>12:00 - 1:15 PM Lunch and networking</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>1:15 - 1:45 PM HV Temperature Studies, Vineyard Surveys. Steve Hoying and John Hudelson, Dept. of Hort. Sci., Cornell Univ., HVL,</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>Highland, NY</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>1:45 - 2:45 PM Will it be Apples or Grapes?: An analysis of the market for Hudson Valleygrapes, economic analysis comparing the two crops, potential benefits and hazards. Steve Hadcock, Extension Educator, CCE of Columbia Co. Hudson, NY, Mike Migliore, President, HVWGA, and John Fitzpatrick, Crop Growers' Insurance,Middletown, NY</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>2:45 - 3:30 PM Sustainable Viticulture and Enology, Green Wineries, Solar Energy in Wineries. Dr. Tim Martinson, Cornell University, Geneva, NY, Mike Migliore, President,HVWGA and Stephen Osborn, Stoutridge Winery, Marlboro, NY</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>3:30 - 4:00 PM Marketing, Demographics of Customers; Hudson Heritage Wines, Red/White Panel: Mike Migliore, President, HVWGA, Jim Trezise, NYS Wine and Grape Foundation and Susan Wine, Rivendale Winery, New Paltz, NY</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>

4:00 - 4:30 PM HVWGA Meeting and Membership Drive. Mike Migliore, President and Dominique Divito, Membership Chair, HVWGA

I would also like to attend The Finger Lakes Grape Grower's Conference March 15 and 16. It is at the Waterloo NY Holiday In, jus a couple miles from my older brothers place. I just might be able to get a room in his cabin and drag him to that now that he is retired.

http://flg.cce.cornell.edu/<X-SIGSEP></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been thinking about it.Thursday would be an excellent agenda for me. Therest of the weekend is booked.Would not be a problem getting there after work BUT it is VALENTINES DAY not sure how romantic it would be, but after enough years we understand things like that.
I guess that"s what makes romantic.

Sounds like a great thing to go to...But pretty much impossible for us to get there...

Will be looking for reports.

Back