Alive and well in the Finger Lakes region

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paubin

Reaction score
Well, here I am sitting 12 miles from Seneca Lake and chomping at the bit to get moved into my new home in the Finger Lakes region of NY State. I'm blown away with the number of winerys and such just up the road. Can't wait to check a few out. I should be set up and brewing/ fermenting in a couple weeks. This is just a plain awesome area. Now I see why appleman seemed so excited when I first mentioned I'd be moving into this area.

Pete

Congradulations on the move Pete. I hope the job let's you stay there a while. You need to wait until you can get going with some nice fresh grapes, but then you could probably still find some juice here and there to use. Have you been getting any snow there yet? It is late this year, but some of the lake effects are starting to kick in in that region. Good luck.

Welcome to my neck of the woods, Pete! I'm just north of you!

Volunteer at a local winery during crush next fall! You can learn a heckuva lot!

You could volunteer at The Hidden Pines Winery!!!!!
smiley36.gif
I know that guy could really use some help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on the move!
smiley32.gif

If you can't get fresh grapes now, you can try this place:

http://www.walkersfruitbasket.com/

It's right up the Thruway from you and usually have a lot of stock very reasonably priced.........

Of course if your looking for a quick fix in a fine finished wine...... there is that award winning little place just north of you........ the name escapes me right now but the owners name is Joan..............She;ll hook you up.

LOL You're a funny one, Jobe! How have you been?

Actually many Finger Lakes wineries sell fresh juice in the fall. The area is becoming quite noted for their Rieslings. You can always fine something you want to ferment! =)

Glad you made it. Wow fresh grape & I'll bet apple cider, you need to get set up and start fermenting!
VC

I've seen 3 roadway signs for fresh cider already in the area. As soon as I get settled I'll be fermenting and brewing my heart out. Can't wait till the next harvest for fresh grapes even though I've always been a country wine and mead man. Love the german wines and thats what I'll be lookin for!

Pete

I just racked a three gallon batch of apple wine. It already smells and tastes great!

How do you think you are going to like the weather up here? =)

Joan, I'm originally from RI so it's not all that different. I've spent all but a few months of the past 5 years in WY. Bottom line is that I'm used to it and the kids are thilled with the snow we've had today. Now if the owner of the house we are going to be renting will get it together so we can move in so we can get out of this dang motel I'll be wonderful...lol. Me and the wife have already picked out the new wine room area. I'm going to stick with renting for now, after the beating I took selling my house in WY (10K loss) I'm a lil gun shy about buying unless the economy picks up a lot more !

Pete

Joan said:
LOL You're a funny one, Jobe! How have you been?

Actually many Finger Lakes wineries sell fresh juice in the fall. The area is becoming quite noted for their Rieslings. You can always fine something you want to ferment! =)

We are doing great, thanks for asking.

We use to live in Rochester back in 1983 - 84 and fell in love with a local Johannesburg Riesling that got us totally turned on to Rieslings. Rarely can I find a bottle anywhere to match the complexity of a good NY Johannesburg Riesling and so far only came close with 1 kit wine out of a dozen or so.....

Sincerely hope all is going well with you, I check in once in a while to see what your up to.

Back