Alcohol Extraction

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sacalait

Reaction score
I'd like to extract the alcohol from some wine before dumping it down the drain. I've heard this can be done by freezing it. Is there a certain technique for this or do you just put it in the freezer until frozen and drain off what doesn't freeze? I've just set 2 1-gallon milk jugs in as an experiment. Does the alcohol come to the surface or what?

If you simply throw it in the freezer and allow it to freeze most of the liquid will be in the center of a honeycombed piece of ice. That will work but if you freeze it solid, remove, allow to thaw a little, and refreeze several times the liquid will slowly move to the bottom of the bucket and the ice will be solid enough to remove easily.

Expect an abv of around 25%, depending on what you start with and how well the ice concentrates.

I'm at the stage that the center isn't frozen... is that (center part) the alcohol?

no, the alchool is the part that DON'T freeze.
You cans also put it in ice cream buckets, monitor it closely and when the center is frozen, you can put the "slush" in a lettuce spinner lined with citon cheeze, all the ice that's left is you'r water-juice.

Latest posts

Back