Alchohol Percent

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MixItUp

Junior
Reaction score
Is there any reason why going to a lower alcohol percent such as, say, 5 or 7% on a white wine that will be aged for a short time period would be a bad idea?

Also, will a wine with a higher percent alcohol have less risk of contamination over time?

Only whnes 5-7% are mist" (patio wines). I would not make and White wines that low. Now not to say if you want a kit to make @ 5-7% thats another story.

I forgot to mention, I am just using white grape as a base, I am making fruit wines. But advice well taken. I'd like to keep the alcohol as low as possible but not mess up the wine.

MixItUP,

Shoot for an sg of between 1.070 and 1.080. this will give you and ABV between 10% and 12%. This is a nice range for fruit wines. I usually try to keep them at 10%.

Tom, I will venture this comment since you could probably never find me in Costa Rica. I think your new avatar does not do you justice. Please upgrade your image.

Mike

It is all about balance. - acid, bitterness, sweetness (and alcohol ABV).

If one or more are out of balance, it will affect the others.

Tom, I will venture this comment since you could probably never find me in Costa Rica. I think your new avatar does not do you justice. Please upgrade your image.

Mike
LOL, yea I need a WINE toon for a avatar

typically but not always, wines under 11% tend to be subject to bacterial problems...so stabilization will be extra important

I've been wonder as well about making a lower alcohol wine. It seems based on all the responses here, if looking to make a lower alcohol mist type wine, a kit is the way to go. I take it a kit for a lower alcohol wine would be less likely to fail than using whatever random fruits/juices I would throw together.

Latest posts

Back