Airlock?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRicco

Junior
Reaction score
I am making a batch of apple wine straight from juice. The recipe says only to "cover" until it is placed in the secondary and then it calls for an airlock. The recipe give basically covers using fruit or straight juice and I assume since the fruit would require the lid coming off daily that an airlock would not be required. Am I correct since i am using juice that this would be more like a wine kit where an airlock would be used during primary fermentation?

Apple juice ferment can get violent and blow an airlock right off during primary fermentation. Wait to add the airlock till it starts to settle down, or make a water jug airlock with some plastic tubing.

To understand when and why you should use an airlock you really need to understand yeast and the fermentation process. I have a article on my BLOG called yeast for beginners that will help you understand the basics.

The one thing to remember with apple wine (also peach & pear) is if you leave it exposed to oxygen in the later stages of fermentation you risk having it turn brown. In my opinion apple is one wine you should get under airlock at around a specific gravity of 1.020 and as soon as it's completely dry add K-meta.

Thanks SBW. Good stuff.

In trying to get a better grasp on why I am doing what I am doing at times, why would a recipe not require you to stir at all in primary fermentation? (Kit wines) is there any downside to actually stirring (except for possibility of contamination)?

Because once its pitched and starts actively fermenting the yeast spreads itself throughout the brew and stirs itself up to a certain extent as its fermenting. There are specific reasons people stir some types of wines or beers and some people swear by it.

But I don't stir anything during the primary after I put the airlock on, and can verify that fermentation has started and looks healthy. And I've never had any problems with stuck fermentation, or fermenting to dryness.

Don't get me wrong, if a recipe recommended stirring during primary because it was typically a hard start, or for resuspension of lees or dregs, or to keep yeast active because of a wine that had a bad reputation for getting stuck, I would stir it. And if I ever had a stuck fermentation I would try stirring it before I repitched or added anything. But if I don't have a reason to stir, I always just let it sit and do its thing.

Last edited:
To understand when and why you should use an airlock you really need to understand yeast and the fermentation process. I have a article on my BLOG called yeast for beginners that will help you understand the basics.

The one thing to remember with apple wine (also peach & pear) is if you leave it exposed to oxygen in the later stages of fermentation you risk having it turn brown. In my opinion apple is one wine you should get under airlock at around a specific gravity of 1.020 and as soon as it's completely dry add K-meta.

The last few batches I have done, I have put about 8 oz. of lemon juice in 5 gal. Seemed to help keep the browning down. Arne.

Back