airlock question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krrusso

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all....I'm making my first batch of wine! This weekend I purchased a wine makers kit, and a juice kit(pinot noir). It's been fermenting for 3 days now and I've had to add water to the "S" type airlock several times. Is it normal to find water from the airlock pushed out and laying on the lid? P.S. I think the noises and action coming from the fermenter are so cool, I really wasn't expecting so much activity!

First off welcome to the forum. Its nice to see someone else from PA joining this forum. The water pushed out of your airlock is ok. The sounds are neat to listen to. Ensure your airlock is only filled to the line marked on the side and do not let it go dry. Stick around and keep asking questions and we'll walk you through your kit.

It's a matter of preferance. I prefer the S-type but others prefer the 3 piece because they are easier to clean. i think the s-type look cooler.

If this has only been going 3 days, shouldn't it have been in primary and not under airlock????

I agree with closet.
I made the same mistake on my first batch. I put it on during initial fermentation not realizing how much gas is released. It "boiled" about half the water out.
Don't worry, your wine will be fine. Keep following the recipe. Next time remember the airlock isn't required until the fermentation slows. I still like to cover the airlock hole with a clean cloth to keep out the fruit flies, dirt, etc.

On the S type airlocks, you only need enough water in them to fill the U at the bottom. The bubble looking things are there to allow the gas to get past the water. Here's a short video I shot of a VERY active S type lock. As you can see, it is filled enough to keep air and bugs out of the wine, but not so full that even an active ferment like this will push water out.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rO66i9by8U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rO66i9by8U[/ame]

ahh...I understand how the air lock is not needed....but I was just following the instructions that came with the juice. It makes sense to me now because the bubbling has been pretty vigorous for the past few days. I'm due to take a reading on friday, and hopefully move on to the next step. Thanks for all your replies!

Latest posts

Back