Airlock cap missing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN-winer

Reaction score
I should know this but want to confirm. I have only 3 airlocks. Two are being used for bulk aging. The third is missing a cap. I assume the only purpose of the cap is to keep the water from evaporating too fast. I"d like to start a batch of port I just got from WE. Can I use the airlock - sans the cap - and just make sure to keep an eye on the water level in the airlock?

Thanks

It keeps bugs and such out of the air lock. You don't want flies swimming in your air lock's solution.

Just put a small piece of cloth over the top of the air lock and put a rubber band around that to hold it on.
It might evaporate out the water a little faster, so keep an eye on the water level.

That should be just fine.

I toss those caps. Just make sure you have enough water in the airlock.

QUICK+DRAW+McGRAW+B%26W.jpg

Woool hooooooold on there Bubba Louie. It depends on which airlock you're using. If you have the "S" type, the cap is to keep bugs out. If you are using the three piece, the cap keeps the dome from floating up thereby forcing the water to rise and provide a proper seal. On the 3 piece airlock, I'd recommend using the cap. In a pinch, you could put once piece of tape across the top to keep the dome from rising up.

If you're using the S type, you can drop a marble in the top and it will provide a reasonable seal to keep bugs out and reduce evaporation and still rise to let the CO2 burp past it.

Last edited:
Thanks lon - its the 3 piece. I'll put some masking tape over it just to keep the tube from rising up, but not enought tape to close off the top completely. I'm glad you responded.

air lock

I just take a small plastic bag and rubber band it over the open top. Keeps the bugs out and keeps it from evaporating too fast. Those plastic ones don't do the job as far as I'm concerned.
Laura:tz

Back