WineXpert air lock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD25

Reaction score
Just started the WE NZ Savignon Blanc last night. Once the lid has been snapped tight on the fermenter, does the air lock need tobe inserted or is OK with leaving the hole open in the lid?

Either way is fine and I have done 99% of my kits with the lid snapped tight with an airlock installed after stirring well to incorporate plenty of oxygen in the juice.

The main things to remember is to protect the batch from any foreign objects from getting into the primary through the open grommet and if you can't transfer to a carboy when the SG drops to <1.010 you should install an airlock.

I always attach the airlock before putting the lid on the fermenter. The first time I triedwith the lidon the grommet went through the lid. Luckily it was still attached to the airlock and I didn't have to fish for the grommet. It was my first wine kit and I didn't have an additional grommet.

**Note to self---Order additional grommetts from George on my next order**
smiley2.gif

smiley5.gif
, my first kit I placed the lid on tight, having a hard time getting it off, I imagined me flipping the lid and spilling the bucket. So, ever since then I have just laid the lid on top, and placed a clean white towel over the top. Maybe this is wrong, I don't know, but so far haven't had any major problems. One batch did overflow out the bucket druing fermentation.

No problem either way just make sure no matter which way you do it no
critters can get in. I snap the lid shut and use an airlock every time
and never had a problem.

I purchased some muslin and some elastic. The elastic holds the muslin in place to keep out foriegners. I like the elastic so I can stir the fermenting juice in the mornings and also see the fermentation in action at that time.

I also use a clean dish towl and a large rubber band. This has always worked for me. this makes it really easy to stir and look at. jh

Once the fermentaion process is started is it okay to "gently stir" the mixture or should you just let it sit ????

I see folks seem to be stirring

EC

It will not hurt stirring your NZ kit during the first 5 or 6 days but is not necessary at all.

Kits that include grape skin packs or raisins do require stirring as per the instructions.

I like to stir it gently. If it is a fruit wine then it is necessary to stir it to punch down the cap so the fruit does not dry up or rot.

Stirring sounds like it would be benificialand help to give it a bit more air, especially at the beginning of fermentation ..... I've got a Green Apple Riesling in the works so I think I'll give it a gentle stir
Thanks all
smiley1.gif

EC

That is 1 of the best IM kits there is. My friend has a Black Raspberry merlot thats clearing and we trade our wines all the time so in about 7 more days Ill be trying out that one. I have made the Peach Apricot Chard, the Blackberry Cab and the Exotic Fruit White Zin, and I like them all.

Wade, I need a good report on the peach and the blackberry as want to get these 2 this week, probably tomorrow. Would be interested in know your thoughts on the rasberry merlot as well, Im just not that inclined to do that one........... Something about rasberry's and merlot that I can't imagine those 2 together.

Jobe, sorry I must have jumped over a few posts somehow and just noticed this. The Blackberry cab is awesome. Definitely let 1 clear well as it through off some sediment in my bottles. The Peach apricot is very nice and actually much better then I thought it would be. I was expecting a weak peach shnapps but was caught off guard and had to trade him a few more of my wines for a few more of these. The peach doesnt seem as sweet as a IM kit usually is and that is nice.

JUst bottled the IM Green Apple Riesling today. I bought and did this kit mostly for my sister in law and wife (when she can drink again, we have one on the way as some here know), I wasnt overly optomistic about it since I dont really like sweet wines. However, after making it, I have to admit, I kind of like it. After bottling, I had 12 oz left and decided to give it a try. I was pleasently suprised. Not something that I would like every night, but definatley something that I will drink more of.
One question about the IM kits. I know they are ready to drink immediatley but, do they change at all with time? I dont think they really could change all that much, but is there any change at all in any amount of time?

Latest posts

Back