WineXpert Aging a wine kit for longer?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would describe what I do more as "whipping" than simply "stirring". Over the first 4 to 6 days while the must is active I stir vigorously at least once a day. There's a chemical reaction occurring. The yeast is converting C/H molecules (sugars) into O/H molecules (alcohols) and emitting waste CO2 in the process. That takes a lot of added oxygen which I attempt to supply by whipping the air into the must.

Once the active ferment settles down, typically after 5 or 6 days, I rack into a carboy and let it finish the ferment under airlock. I let the airlock be my guide as to when to stabilize and that could take up to a month. Then for reds I'll leave them in the carboy for 6 to 12 months. Whites generally get bottled after 3 or 4 months or even sooner.

There's a chemical reaction occurring. The yeast is converting C/H molecules (sugars) into O/H molecules (alcohols) and emitting waste CO2 in the process. That takes a lot of added oxygen which I attempt to supply by whipping the air into the must.

I am not disagreeing with your procedure. However, I want to note that sugars have as many O atoms as they do C atoms. Ethanol has more C atoms than O atoms. And yeast are capable of causing this reaction even in the absence of oxygen (anaerobic fermentation).

I am not disagreeing with your procedure. However, I want to note that sugars have as many O atoms as they do C atoms. Ethanol has more C atoms than O atoms. And yeast are capable of causing this reaction even in the absence of oxygen (anaerobic fermentation).

Thank you. Its been a long LONG time since organic chemistry (and I hated every minute of it). I was labouring under the misconception that there is no oxygen in sugars. I don't think I'll change my procedure but I'll definitely alter my explanation.

Is a unit like this food grade?
The diffusion stone is made of stainless steal and the tubing, in my case, is made of silicone. So yes. Used by many beer makers (me included) to oxygenate lagers before adding the yeast. Having said this, I have only used this technique twice on wine must.

It's an effective way of getting oxygen into the must. And in addition, very useful for carbonating wine in kegs. Extremely fast compared to the traditional way.

On the subject of macro oxygenation: Guide to Macro Oxygenation and Fermentation | MoreWine

• A closed circuit, pumping over in a tank = 0 mg/L oxygen.
  • Racking with aeration = 2 mg/L oxygen.
  • A pumping-over with an in-line venturi = 2 to 2.5mg/L oxygen.
  • Pumping the must (Red wine) so that it first falls into an open tray or bin, and then goes back into the fermenter (usually inundating the cap) = 1.5 mg/L oxygen.
  • Pumping the must (Red wine) into a tray or bin as noted above, but with a fan blowing on the exposed wine = 4 mg/L oxygen.
  • Using a Stainless diffusion stone with air = 4 mg/L oxygen.
The article also claims there is no transfer of oxygen once fermentation started:

However, once the fermentation starts in earnest, the yeast will have consumed the dissolved oxygen in the must and the top of the vat will be blanketed with CO2, effectively cutting it off from the oxygen in the surrounding air. In short, if the yeast is to receive any more oxygen to help it stay healthy and limit the production of undesired sulfur compounds during the remainder of the fermentation, the winemaker must take measures to add it themselves.

Can you provide a pointer to the inlet air filter? I have a Pawfly 40 GPH air pump and it does not seem to have a inlet filter. I may have to build a box for it.
Thanks
j

Latest posts

Back