air lock concern

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krhamm

Reaction score
I have a 3 gallon batch of blueberry wine going and it's basically at the clearing stage. Today, my wife informed me that my 20 month decided to sneak into our back bedroom (where the carboy is sitting) and pull the air lock off of the carboy.:( I'm sure he didn't lightly pull it off. My thinking is that this is the first time that he touched the carboy and yanked on the air lock until it came off. My main concern is that some of the sanitizer water that was sitting in the air lock dripped into the wine. It looks like it's less water than it was before. I'm curious if this will affect the outcome of the wine. Anybody's input on this will be greatly appreciated. I hope my wine isn't ruined.

Relax. Refill the airlock and have a glass or 2 of Wine. All should be OK :hug

Thanks Tom. I actually did drink a glass of wine to calm down after my wife informed me of this. lol.

Nothing at all, there is very very little in there and your kid could do that everyday for a few weeks before youd notice anything. Now, go lock that door before he gets into it a little deeper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i already installed a lock on my liquor cabinet yesterday because he's been getting in there and pulling out the crown royal bottle. Must run thru the family. lol.

Relax. Refill the airlock and have a glass or 2 of Wine. All should be OK :hug

I got to thinking about this again and realize that the fluid that i had in the air lock was one step solution. I don't why i did this but i did. I should've used k-meta solution. Anyways will this solution hurt the wine if it leaked into it after my son pulled onto the air lock?

Not to worry until your wife replaces the air lock with a straw while you're working.

and worse would be the 20 month yr old w his or her own straw! :)

and forgive me..i have to ask....umm do you have a dog? :) :gn

LOL That's funny Al.

When I take off or put on my air lock some water drops into the wine. Never really gave it a thought. Hopefully it doesn't hurt anything. Hasn't yet.

I got to thinking about this again and realize that the fluid that i had in the air lock was one step solution. I don't why i did this but i did. I should've used k-meta solution. Anyways will this solution hurt the wine if it leaked into it after my son pulled onto the air lock?

:rdoI think the product got it's name based on the average distance a lab assistant can go after taking a drink of it.:rdo

Back