Aging and Colour

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u01dtj6

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I made a batch of red wine from pure grape juice I bought from the supermarket the other week. Starting S.G. was 1.100 and today's final s.g. read at 1.008. However, I am quite disappointed with the colour, as it looks more like a Rose than a typical red. Will the colour darken with aging, and for how long would this tak? 6 months? 1 year? 2 years even?

It tastes pretty good actually, but could you guys tell me whether or not this is going to darken in colour over time?

Thanks
Dan

Dan,
1st I would guess you made a concord grape wine.

2nd ignore the color its gonna taste good. I doubt it will change in color. It just means the skins were not on the juice long enough to darken the juice. This is very common when making juice for the grocery store. How much did you make andwhats the recipe?

Let ferment dry and then start to fine the wine.

How much juice did you use per gallon as you could have diluted it too much. You could darken it up if you plan on sweetening it by using more grape juice like making an f-pac. I typically do this with wines that dont have enough flavor and I get some juice and simmer it down on the stove till about 1/3 its original size with the lid of the pot off to evaporate the water used in dilution of the juice. This will also thicken up the batch a little also.

@ tepe, you right about the taste, is taste's alright actually.I didn't use concord grape juice, I used this: http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/shopping/details/product_detail.jsp?bmUID=1248607056827&NEW_NAVIGATOR%3C%3Elevel_0_id=0&NEW_NAVIGATOR%3C%3Elevel_1_id=1&NEW_NAVIGATOR%3C%3Elevel_2_id=2534374310886111&NEW_NAVIGATOR%3C%3Elevel_3_id=2534374320018013&NEW_NAVIGATOR%3C%3Elevel_4_id=2534374310887343&NEW_NAVIGATOR%3C%3Elevel_5_id=2534374311310781&NEW_NAVIGATOR%3C%3Elevel_6_id=1689949371923631

@wade - I used2 litres (UK sized) and water to top up to the gallon jug. The gallon jug is a bit bigger than the american gallon, if I'm right.

Would it be better if I used this juice from the supermarket again andnot use any water at all? So I'd have 100% juice wine, instead of 1 part juice and 2 parts water? It might be a little more expensive, but I'm willing to pay that little bit extra to have a good colour and taste in it. Looks like the S.G. is finishing at 1.008 from 1.100.

Here's the original recipe though:

1 Gallon:

-2 ltrs red grape juice
-water to make syrup to fill carboy (not too full, of course). sugar to raise s.g. to 1.110
-1 tsp pectolase
-1 tsp nutrient
-yeast

Dan

Latest posts

Back