Afelwein refermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derunner

Reaction score
I made Afelwein last fall from cider. Pitched on 10/6/13. on 11/24 I racked it from secondary and added 3 tsp ksorbate, 1/2tsp k-meta and an extra 1/2 tsp pectin enzyme as it was still cloudy. I had previously included 1 TBSP pectin enzyme in the primary.

it cleared and I filtered it 1-18-14. At that time I backsweetened with an fpak I made from simmering frozen apple juice. I raised sg to 1.015 from .994.

I bottled 1-27.

It was clear all spring when I was drank some bottles including one in early June. Then I noticed a couple weeks ago the rest of the bottles had sediment in them. I am think it has begun refermenting. It seems a bit carbonated now. I am not sure of the current SG. I should probably measure that to see if the sugar has reduced.

Any issue drinking if a bit cloudy? I am thinking I could poor the rest of the bottles, about 20 or so back into a carboy and let them clear again, or maybe just be careful when pouring them. Of course those existing bottle might start popping if I don't do something.

What should I have done differently to keep them from starting fermentation again?

I am not sure why, but over the years when there is a thread about refermenting, it is usually apple. I had it happen a long time ago and swore I had stabalized it. Used the same sorbate on other wines and they stayed stable. Anyway it was a small batch and after popping a couple of corks didn't have much left. Got the bottles in the fridge, opened them up and had some sparkling apple to drink. It was actually pretty darn good. Good luck with yours, Arne.

I had the sorbate I used for about a year. It is hard to say how long it might have set on the store shelf. Could it have gone bad? I just used it on 4 more batches of wine. Would it be a good or bad idea to perhaps get new sorbate and add additional to those wines? How much extra can you add without hurting the wine. is the 1/2 tsp per gallon firm or could you add extra?

Sounds like it definitely started refermenting. Does the wine taste less sweet?

My best guess is that this wine remained cooler during the winter and spring months. Now that summer is hear, the wine has probably warmed up a bit, making for a better environment for any yeast that might remain.

Although there is no harm in drinking this wine, you may run the risk of the corks popping out.

I would uncork your bottles into a carboy, re-apply sorbate and a good dose of k-meta, allow to settle, then re-bottle.

If your sorbate is that old, think I would buy some new and pitch the old. As far as the other wines, I would just keep an eye on them, if they stay ok, you are good. If they start refermenting, follow Johns advice. Of course, you have to wait for it to finish refermenting before restabalizing. Arne.

Latest posts

Back