AF and MLF Timing Issue

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pditt13

Reaction score
I have a question regarding the timing of my AF and MLF. My very thoughtful brother purchase a Chilean Malbec juice bucket for me as a surprise, no skins, just juice. It is due to arrive around end of April, at which time I need to drive from western PA to DE. What he didn't realize is that I am going on vacation the 16th of May and won't be home until the 28th. I don't want the juice to sit for a month.

Should I start it as soon as it get it which would result in the Brix possibly being 0 well before I get back, or should I start it 3-4 days before I leave. After making any adjustments and adding Opti-Red/Ft Rouge, my plan is to start AF with D254/GoFerm and co inoculate with VP41/Acti-ML and Opti Malo Plus 24-48 hours later. I won't be around to add any Ferm K.

Any suggestions on when to start? Part of the problem, it is not definite exactly when it will arrive, only told end of April.

Appreciate any suggestions.
Patti

Tough situation. I would pitch as soon as you get it up to pitch temperature. Then rack to a carboy right before you need to leave for vacation. Also would suggest using a yeast starter so the wine is starts fast, and would expect just a few days to get almost complete.

If the schedule only gives you a few days, then I would contemplate freezing the juice in empty/sanitized milk jugs (3/4 full).

Let me tell you a cautionary tale. In 2016 my first year making wine, I ordered some grapes that came in (2 weeks before expected) late September the day before we were going to Hawaii. Not knowing anything, or anyone else interested, I tossed in the yeast and left on my trip. I had no other choice. when we got home 10 days later I had a complete disaster in the garage that took days to clean up. Really it was a huge sticky mess and a complete loss. So no fermenting while you're away!

But if you get it the end of April and you're not leaving until the middle of May, you're fine. Your fermentation will take 7-10 days, and you can rack it and put it under airlock and then go and enjoy your trip. As to timing, most of us get fermentation started and then a day or two later get the MLF started. This is called early inoculation. But if you don't have time, don't sweat it as you can still do a "normal" sequential MLF when you get back.

Don't add any Sulfite until the MLF has completed.

Thanks everyone. I will just have to have all my options planned out. all supplies for AF and early MLF, and also enough gallon jugs to freeze if I don’t get it in time.

One thing, a couple of my AF have taken closer to two weeks. if I have time to give it a week or so to ferment and brix still isn’t 0, is ok to still rack to carboy. I will also have started MLF.

thanks again!!

I have a question regarding the timing of my AF and MLF. My very thoughtful brother purchase a Chilean Malbec juice bucket for me as a surprise, no skins, just juice. It is due to arrive around end of April, at which time I need to drive from western PA to DE. What he didn't realize is that I am going on vacation the 16th of May and won't be home until the 28th. I don't want the juice to sit for a month.

Should I start it as soon as it get it which would result in the Brix possibly being 0 well before I get back, or should I start it 3-4 days before I leave. After making any adjustments and adding Opti-Red/Ft Rouge, my plan is to start AF with D254/GoFerm and co inoculate with VP41/Acti-ML and Opti Malo Plus 24-48 hours later. I won't be around to add any Ferm K.

Any suggestions on when to start? Part of the problem, it is not definite exactly when it will arrive, only told end of April.

Appreciate any suggestions.
Patti
I found out more information on my Malbec bucket. It is not scheduled to arrive until May 5th and I am unable to pick the bucket up before I leave for vacation. My brother said he would just keep it an double up on his batch or freeze it for me, my choice.

My question is, does freezing alter the juice chemistry or water it down at all? AND I also found out that they add yeast to the buckets and then keep them in at 35 degree truck for shipping. That was disappointing also since i wanted to use my selected yeast and co-inoculate... and I don't know what yeast they used. Anyway, will freezing do anything to the yeast? I don't even know what the chemistry is, ph, TA, Brix, and they already have the yeast pitched.

After using juice buckets for several years, I came to the following conclusions: EC-1118 is added to all of them, SG will be 1.090, Sulfite will have been added, ph will be about 3.6, TA (from Chile anyway) was always low, MLF chances are somewhat low due to added Sulfites.

I no longer do juice buckets, but many people do and seem to make decent wine from them.

After using juice buckets for several years, I came to the following conclusions: EC-1118 is added to all of them, SG will be 1.090, Sulfite will have been added, ph will be about 3.6, TA (from Chile anyway) was always low, MLF chances are somewhat low due to added Sulfites.

I no longer do juice buckets, but many people do and seem to make decent wine from them.
Did you ever have to freeze any juice, if so, any issues?

Latest posts

Back