Aeration-Oxidation Procedure and Chemical Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT_Keg

Junior
Reaction score
I am going to dive in and assemble my own A/O apparatus; during my research I found conflicting information and am hoping for some clarification on chemicals and methods.
  1. When it comes to the Hydrogen Peroxide Concentration I have read journal articles and instruction guides that conflict with each other. In some instances the procedure calls for 0.3% Hydrogen Peroxide and in other instances 3% hydrogen peroxide. How does the concentration of the H2O2 impact the SO2 absorption or accuracy? What is the appropriate concentration?
  2. When it comes to the NaOH i understand we have to use 0.01N, the local science store sells 0.0100N NaOH in Methanol. Is this what I am looking for?
  3. Various sources indicate that the air flow rate should be 1-2 lpm. Some sources identify "steady stream of bubbles". I understand that if the air flow rate is too low then we may not get all the SO2 out of the test liquid which will cause inaccuracies. If the flow is too fast then there will be insufficient contact time in the H2O2. What is the standard practice here?
Thanks for your help!

MT

I am going to dive in and assemble my own A/O apparatus; during my research I found conflicting information and am hoping for some clarification on chemicals and methods.
  1. When it comes to the Hydrogen Peroxide Concentration I have read journal articles and instruction guides that conflict with each other. In some instances the procedure calls for 0.3% Hydrogen Peroxide and in other instances 3% hydrogen peroxide. How does the concentration of the H2O2 impact the SO2 absorption or accuracy? What is the appropriate concentration?
  2. When it comes to the NaOH i understand we have to use 0.01N, the local science store sells 0.0100N NaOH in Methanol. Is this what I am looking for?
  3. Various sources indicate that the air flow rate should be 1-2 lpm. Some sources identify "steady stream of bubbles". I understand that if the air flow rate is too low then we may not get all the SO2 out of the test liquid which will cause inaccuracies. If the flow is too fast then there will be insufficient contact time in the H2O2. What is the standard practice here?
Thanks for your help!

MT

I am doing this too. My NaOH is .01 Normal solution. I do not smell any alcohol in the bottle. I am using regular "off the drug store shelf" for the Peroxide. I got an aquarium air pump to make my air flow. I purchased the pump for a 20 gallon aquarium. You can get a little flow control valve to vary the amount of bubbling. There are 3 videos on the MoreWine web site that explain the procedure very well.

Honestly unless you just like to tinker and "MacGyver" stuff you honestly would be better off purchasing the A/O Rig that More Wine sells.

https://morewinemaking.com/products/economy-aerationoxidation-free-so2-test-kit.html

You get everything you need for $99. I have this and once you have used it (watch the youtube videos) its very straight forward. It comes with enough chems to get you started but you will need more of the phosphoric acid sooner rather than later. Last time I looked Amazon was selling it for much cheaper than More Wine. You can use store bought Peroxide but I would reorder the NaOH from More Wine as it is fresh and standardized so you will get accurate results from the get go.

Honestly unless you just like to tinker and "MacGyver" stuff you honestly would be better off purchasing the A/O Rig that More Wine sells.

https://morewinemaking.com/products/economy-aerationoxidation-free-so2-test-kit.html

You get everything you need for $99. I have this and once you have used it (watch the youtube videos) its very straight forward. It comes with enough chems to get you started but you will need more of the phosphoric acid sooner rather than later. Last time I looked Amazon was selling it for much cheaper than More Wine. You can use store bought Peroxide but I would reorder the NaOH from More Wine as it is fresh and standardized so you will get accurate results from the get go.

I have about $80 invested in my DIY setup, so you are correct that the MoreWine set up is pretty cost effective.

BTW, I was able to get Phosphoric acid from Grainger at a much better price than MoreWine.

I thought it would be more cost effective if I built one myself. Looks like I will go with the More Wine setup.

Can anybody provide a better understanding of the all of the chemical and process questions in the original post? I just want to get a better understanding.

Thanks,

MT

Back