WineXpert Advice About WE SE Sonoma Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoSnob

Reaction score
After a trip to Napa (and watching, again, Sideways) and many tastings I became inspired. I took several great photos to use on my labels! So I just bought my fourth, a WE SE Sonoma Pinot Noir but have not begun it yet. Any advice, suggestions or experience to share about it, especially how long to age in carboy? Also, any advice about oaking this wine?
Thanks
NS

1.Bottle aging: WE Selection Original Cab-Merlot
2.Carboy aging: WE Selection Estate Italian Barolo
3.Bottle aging: WE Selection Estate Washington Valley Riesling

I can't help you with this particular kit other than that I would bulk age it at least 6 months.

I did one of them last September. This is an expensive kit, so take god care of it.

I used BM45 yeast, instead of the supplied EC1118. I wanted something a little more fruit forward. BM45 will really foam up alot, so make sure you have a 7.9 gallon or larger fermentor bucket. Of course you can split the kit into two separate buckets.

Even in secondary, it continued to foam so much I had to remove the air lock and install a tube, which ran down into a glass bottle partially filled with a sanitizing solution.

I oaked it per the instructions. For me personally, I don't think it needs more oak, but to each his/her own.

I still have it in the carboy. Tasted it a week ago. It is already nice, but it is going to be very nice in another six months or so. So I will not bottle it for awhile, yet.

I would study different yeasts and think about using something besides EC1118 on such a nice, delicate wine. Take a look at this chart:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wyeastpair.pdf

Many Yeasts besides EC1118 need a little more care and some extra nutrients. If you do go with a different yeast, you should do a yeast starter. Add some nutrients (Fermaid K) on about the 4th or 5th day of active fermentation (go by nutrient instructions). This is especially required for BM45.

Regardless of what yeast you use, even though it doesn't have a grape pack, be sure to stir down the foam and stir in some oxygen every day until it is ready for secondary. Once in secondary, keep it from all oxygen.

During fermentation, try to keep the temperature down in the 70's or very low 80's if possible.

Let this guy age for awhile and you will be very happy with the results.

Flem and Robie,

Thanks for your replies. I seem to select reds that require extra aging so I do plan to keep it in the carboy for at least 6 months. That gives me an excuse to buy many new wines to taste while my wine is improving.

Robie, as new as I am to this, I am not inclined to use other yeast, especially if it seems to cause side effects of its own that I may not be knowledgeable to deal with. Plus, I don't have a 7+ liter fermentation pail. Good to know though that after 7 months in a carboy the WE SE Sonoma Pinot Noir tastes great; I admire your patience in planning to wait for a year or so. That's what I hope to do with my WE Italian Barolo and hope I can do the same for this Pinot. It's just that waiting is so hard!! I will try the daily stirring while in primary fermentation, although I wonder why WE instructions do not suggest this. Keeping fermentation at 70s or low 80s is no problem in Florida!

Thanks for your suggestions. I am learning a lot by benefitting from your experience!

NS

Back