WE NZ Pinot Noir - Tannins?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been reading this forum for a while now and this is my first post. I’ll try to be brief. Been making wine kits since late 2018. After patronizing a local business that sells bottles and batches made from kits for 5 years I finally got woke and started making them myself. So, 20 months, hundreds of $ in paraphernalia and 24 kits later I’m feeling pretty good about this new hobby. Mrs. Coker says it’s her favorite of all my hobbies.
Kit #25 is on its way. It’s a WE NZ Marlborough Pinot Noir. Its not a cheap kit but I certainly welcome Joeswine’s input on how I might tweak it. Or not tweak it for that matter. I plan to bulk age but am wondering if it would benefit from a tannin tweak.
I’ve learned so much from this site already and look forward to your input.

Phil

I would suggest that you do the kit as intended the first time to set a baseline, as only you know your taste preference. Also, this is a high end kit from the private reserve range. I do not know the difference between the "new" WE NZ Marlborough Pinot Noir and the old WE New Zealand Pinot Noir from the Selection range. I have done the latter and really like the soft silky tannins in it. Adding more, would at least to me, risk making it less enjoyable. Your mileage might vary...

Anyway, one kit a month for two years is pretty awesome :)

Anyway, one kit a month for two years is pretty awesome :)
The strategy was to get enough to drink while the higher end kits age. I made 3 lower priced reds at once in 5 gal. versions (while self isolating with the family ;)) so I think I'm set. The long range goal is to make one kit a month alternating a white and a red so I never run out of good wine to drink. The Selection NZPN was the first red kit I did and really liked it. I don't think the new kit is coming with skins. Not sure why but it looks like it's the only Private Reserve red WE offers that does not have them.

Latest posts

Back