adjusting acid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtstar

Reaction score
can you adjust the acid level of a wine that has fermented out dry already I was just wondering because I have not gotten a acid test kit yet

winemaker_3352 you beat me to it. I, also, check before fermentation and then after and I there has been times when I had to re-adjust.

Thanks for the information I will try and get a test kit soon

winemaker_3352 you beat me to it. I, also, check before fermentation and then after and I there has been times when I had to re-adjust.

:try

Yeah me too - not sure how the fermentation affects the acid level - but according to some of my acid tests - i would think it does.

You didn't say if you are making fresh grape wine, frozen grape wine, or kit grape wine.

Before fermentation begins, you should not try to adjust the acid level or PH of a kit wine. There is a lot of magic in the kit must, that can give you false readings. Just assume that the levels are already correct.

However, after fermentation and degassing and before bottling, you can always adjust a kit wine's acid levels.

Excluding kits...

After fermentation is OK
Before is even better

Talking about fruit wines and grape wines, no kits. You are correct, Robie, kits are already adjusted.

Thanks Julie you are correct I am talking about fruit wines I have harvested Elderberry, Chockcherry, wild plume, blueberry, rhubarb, and gooseberry which I have started with the gooseberry.

Latest posts

Back