WineXpert Adding Zante Currants to WE Kit for extra Body

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacci

Reaction score
Anybody's feed back for this tweak on Winexpert kit? Would it make a difference for body/color on the new Petit Syrah/Zin limited kit? or is it overkill.

Hi Bacci,
Sorry I cannot answer your questions on the zante currents, but can tell you I had the same thoughts last year when I was doing my LE kits. I usually wouldn't do a WineExpert kit because of the lack of skins, but the Primitivo last year was really calling to me. I just about added zante currants, but decided not alter the kit at all (I was doing most all red LE kits from RJ, and Cellar Craft). Well, I made the kit per instructions with the exception of barrel aging for 12 weeks- as happens with all my reds. I usually taste a split at one year old, and let me tell you, the WE Primitivo was the best of all my LE kits last year. I was so pleased that I didn't hesitate to order several of the Washington Meriatage this year, and wished I would have ordered two or three more of the Primitivo's last year.
YMMV!
ts

I add Organic Red Flame raisins to any kit that does not have grape pack or raisins included. That said, most on these forums would disagree with tweaking any LE, LR, or RQ kits at all. Sorry, not much help.

Not experience in Zante currants. Maybe you could split the kit into two 3-gallon batches; do one with your currants and the other without. This way you can compare. You just might be on to something, but the only way to know for sure is to try.

What's more, you could then selectively blend some part of the two back together and see what that brings.

Experiment!

Same here Troutstix, the PS/ZIN was calling my name and I've only made grapeskin kits from CC & RJS. I just want it to be bold enough for this blend, the plan is to add Grand Cru Tannin and a bit more french oak cubes during bulk aging, to replica some barrel aging, but thought the currants would add that little extra mouthfeel. Will age for at least a year before bottling

Not experience in Zante currants. Maybe you could split the kit into two 3-gallon batches; do one with your currants and the other without. This way you can compare. You just might be on to something, but the only way to know for sure is to try.

What's more, you could then selectively blend some part of the two back together and see what that brings.

Experiment!

3 gal carboys and double fermentations, things I don't wanted to think about at this point.

Zante currents are Just Champagne grapes.

They're marketed that way in the US sometimes, but it's a completely different variety of grape from those used in making Champagne (Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, and Pinot Meunier).

The only thing I'd be worried about is that you might run the risk of affecting the overall flavor. I've never used zante currants in wine making, but I know they can have an intense flavor to them.

If you're really curious, though, I'd just divde the overall batch up and compare what you get.

I have used them several time and have had good outcomes. I have only added them to reds and not a kit so I would not know about that. Being said, if you have made the kit before and weren't happy, why are you making it again. If you have not made the kit how would you know it needs tweaking?

Latest posts

Back