Adding tartaric acid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamsterjohn

Reaction score
I'm in day 5 with my vino superiors Cabernet sauvignon and tested it. SG 1.050 pH 3.74, acid 6.40 It started out as 5 gallons of frozen must. Would adding tartaric acid now be a good time? And how much. Am I right in that the pH should come down little, and the acid up little? Thanks

Your PH seems rather high, and the TA is spot on. You do not need to add any acid at this point. Just be sure that your measurements are correct. I would retest PH and TA to be sure.

I agree with John, Acid is right in line pH might be a tad high but all in all not bad at all. If you do MLF you can expect your TA to drop and your pH to rise a bit. You should recheck both after MLF is complete and then perhaps add just a touch of Tartaric in order to lower pH and raise TA back up a bit.

Thanks guys, I will be doing MLF. This wine is a new learning experience for me. Will be using my press also for the first time.

Last edited:
what is the maximum PH level that you would comfortable with as it pertains to spoilage protection?

For a red something in the 3.55 -3.65 is usually pretty good. A higher pH doesn't mean it will spoil, it just means you will need more SO2 to protect it down the road than it would if the pH was lower. I have had many commercial wines in the 3.7 -3.8 range and they were all excellent wines.

For a red something in the 3.55 -3.65 is usually pretty good. A higher pH doesn't mean it will spoil, it just means you will need more SO2 to protect it down the road than it would if the pH was lower. I have had many commercial wines in the 3.7 -3.8 range and they were all excellent wines.

SO2? Sulfer dioxide? What causes this and hoe do you get more? Is Potasium metabisulfite the same thing or the control os Sulfer dioxide?

Thanks alot, I did several searches on my own and wasn't getting anywhere. But I did figure out SO2 was sulur dioxide so thats something.lol

Correct, small amounts are produced during fermentation but nowhere near enough for the long term protection of a wine.

Back