adding oak--- Something seems wrong

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jh0330

Reaction score
Hi I just learnt about bentonite and oak chips that wasn't mentioned in my guide.

I bought some bentonite and oak chips I bought and added it to my must (which is about 65 hours into fermentation).

I feel like I just added dirt and then more dirt:S
maybe I missed a step?
Hope it is okay.

20150811_180949.jpg

20150811_181114.jpg

20150811_181220.jpg

20150811_181429.jpg

20150811_181736.jpg

20150811_183526.jpg

Last edited:
Hi I just learnt about bentonite and oak chips that wasn't mentioned in my guide.

I bought some bentonite and oak chips I bought and added it to my must (which is about 65 hours into fermentation).

I feel like I just added dirt and then more dirt:S
maybe I missed a step?
Hope it is okay.

Its not dirt, its clay
It will be fine if you don't add too much

Looks fine to me -

Keep pushing down the cap - gently and you will be going in a carboy soon -

How are your hydrometer readings ??

How much oak did you add to your must? I'm guessing that you are making six gallons right? and that looks more like oak powder not chips, but that's just me...

Its not dirt, its clay
It will be fine if you don't add too much

Thanks for the response!
That helped calm me a bit (I was able to see the response but couldn't reply on my phone for some reason)

Looks fine to me -

Keep pushing down the cap - gently and you will be going in a carboy soon -

How are your hydrometer readings ??

Hi, thanks for the response.
My hydrometer reading was 1.112 SG before fermentation.
I haven't bothered taking another hydrometer reading as the must was really bubbly. It been only 55 hours since starting the fermentation process in those pictures.

How much oak did you add to your must? I'm guessing that you are making six gallons right? and that looks more like oak powder not chips, but that's just me...

Hi, thanks for taking the care to go into detail.
The bag says, "Oak Toasted 30g".
It did seem powdery.
Is that bad???

There are different ways to oak your wine- powder, chips, cubes, spirals and of course barrel. When oaking in primary I often use powder,less chance of over oaking and I can add cubes or chips in secondary if I want more.The bentonite will sink and help with clearing of your wine.Looks good.

There are different ways to oak your wine- powder, chips, cubes, spirals and of course barrel. When oaking in primary I often use powder,less chance of over oaking and I can add cubes or chips in secondary if I want more.The bentonite will sink and help with clearing of your wine.Looks good.

Hi Kim,
Thanks again for your support, really appreciate it!
Your compliment makes me feel better :)
I hope it turns out good :) so excited lol

Latest posts

Back