WineXpert Adding nutrient to yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyportale

Reaction score
Has anyone had luck and / or attempted to add a yeast nutrient (Go Ferm) to their yeast from the kit?
If so, positive results, overkill? bad idea?
I'm asking because I'm going to get a pail of Brehm Cab. Sauv. frozen grape must
and compare the end result to the same wine made from a WE Kit. I will have to add a nutrient to the yeast with this method.

Thx,
Tony

Should be an interesting experiment, Tony. I have never added the nutrient but I am interested in what you intend to add to the WE kit for grape skins for a more accurate comparison. It would seem to me that the bucket of must would have the advantage unless you added skins. Keep us up to date on what you do. I really enjoy a Cabernet Sauvignon and I have about 19 gallons bulk aging right now that was made from juice with Syrah grape skins. Early results are encouraging.

tonyportale...

There is no need to add yeast nutrient to a kit. The manufacturer ensures that there is sufficient in the kit. However, if you plan to change the yeast that came with the kit to one that requires more nutrient, it might be necessary (although changing the yeast would kinda negate the comparison to some degree). The Brehm pail is (of course) not a kit, so yeast nutrient is probably required.

It will be interesting to compare the results Brehm vs WE. How long were you planning on waiting for the comparison? Three years or more?

BTW, which WE Cab Sauv were you planning to use? Perhaps Sel Estate Lodi 11 or Sel International Australian?

Steve

Make sure to distinguish between a yeast rehydration nutrient such as Goferm and fermentation nutrients such as DAP, Fermaid and Fermax. Goferm is used when rehydrating yeasts. The others are added during fermentation. I mention this as GoFerm was specifically mentioned and then the discussion seemed to trend to fermentation nutients.

I can't comment on your question of use in a kit. I suspect that using GoFerm during rehydration would not be a problem. However, if kits are adjusted, there may be no need for a nutrient during fermentation.

As a rule, kits do not suggest rehydrating the yeast. So 'kit guys' like me, don't know that there are specific yeast nutrients for rehydrating yeast. We just follow the instructions, and sprinkle the yeast on top of the must.

Perhaps the amount of 'regular' yeast nutrient in the kit ensures that the yeast starts to work easily.

Steve

Even with kits you can use yeast energizer if your fermentation has slowed or stopped and you have not reached your target SG.

Even with kits you can use yeast energizer if your fermentation has slowed or stopped and you have not reached your target SG.
I guess you can (although that's not the original question), but if you don't know why the fermentation has stopped, you might be wasting time & money. It might be as simple as temperature of the must/wine being too low.

If you're making a kit from a decent manufacturer, and have it at a reasonable temperature, the fermentation shouldn't stall.

Steve

I used it this time because my SG was 1000 and the fermentation was getting real slow. I was looking for something around 995 or below. My temp was 80 F.

Latest posts

Back