Adding less water

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mapleleaf

Reaction score
My kit required adding water to make 23l. I added less water and made 20l instead for the primary fermentation. Would it be ok to add 3l more of water during the second fermentation. By the way the reason I did that was because i only had a 23l pail for primary.

If you had to add more than 10 liters of water at the beginning (to get to 23 liters), you might want to leave it alone. I have reconstituted IM kits to 5 gallons, and they turn out great.

Next time:

Reconstitute to 23 liters.
Remove 1 gallon. Save in sealed jug in the fridge.
Pitch yeast
Ferment for 4 days
Remove 3/4 gallon. Put an airlock on it.
Add the reserved 1 gallon
When time to rack to secondary,Recombine in the secondary

Last edited:
Next time just get a larger pail to ferment in. They don't cost that much and you won't run the risk of messing things up with all the extra steps. By the way it would not be a second fermentation, only a continued fermentation in a secondary container (carboy).

Next time just get a larger pail to ferment in. They don't cost that much and you won't run the risk of messing things up with all the extra steps. By the way it would not be a second fermentation, only a continued fermentation in a secondary container (carboy).

I have ordered a larger pail for next time.

Latest posts

Back