adding grapes to juice bucket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PittGrad

Reaction score
I've just ordered a Carmenere juice bucket, and decided to add an 18 lb lug of grapes to go with it based on quite a bit of input here and other places that these juice buckets can tend to be a bit thin.

I've got several questions though about how to get this all started correctly. Is it just a matter of manually crushing these and just throwing in with the juice? If the buckets already come balanced, any chance that adding grapes will mess with balance? Do I need to do anything else to 'prep' these grapes? Kmeta to kill any yeast that might be coming with them? Pectic enzyme?

Thanks for any input folks might have.

yes to all three. Any additions can change Specific Gravity, pH, and the grapes can hold wild yeast, to know and understand how a wine made it from starting to what is in the glass, one must know the starting values, especially pH and SG.

Changes

Totally agree with Bergmann, Know the Values. A small change is a big change

I have been adding 6~8 lbs of crushed grapes to my kits for a while now and find they are one of the best ways to bring a kit to the next level. I do not measure/adjust the acidity or pitch KMeta or pectin enzyme and have been. Very please with the results. That being said I am now curious about the TA and PH levels and will measure them next time around to see what effect the grapes have. Mind you I am assuming the qty of grapes added would dictate how much they will affect the final product.

yes to all three. Any additions can change Specific Gravity, pH, and the grapes can hold wild yeast, to know and understand how a wine made it from starting to what is in the glass, one must know the starting values, especially pH and SG.

Thanks for replies. so let me outline my approach here and please tell me if it seems sound--when getting the grapes and bucket home, i'll destem/crush the grapes and add to must. after which i'll add kmeta and let sit (how long, one day?) After it's sat for some time i'll take Ph/Acid/SG and adjust accordingly, and finally pitch yeast.

Heading in right direction?

like heather said> and I simply adjust my SG. pH at the same time then lit stand 24 hours and pitch the yeast. Ta can be adjusted to taste after fermentation.

it's a couple weeks after my initial post, and I picked up my bucket of juice and grapes yesterday. I measured the pH of the bucket by itself as 3.64 before adding the grapes. After adding the grapes and letting sit for a day, pH now is reading at 4.0. Based on some online calculators, it would seem I need to add about 50 grams of tartaric acid to get back within the 3.6 range.

Seems a lot of acid, and i'm hesitant to add that much without asking for input. Curious on thoughts/experiences from others. Has adding a single lug of grapes throw off the pH that much for any others? As this is first time i'm adding grapes to a bucket, maybe it's not all that much out of line??

it's a couple weeks after my initial post, and I picked up my bucket of juice and grapes yesterday. I measured the pH of the bucket by itself as 3.64 before adding the grapes. After adding the grapes and letting sit for a day, pH now is reading at 4.0. Based on some online calculators, it would seem I need to add about 50 grams of tartaric acid to get back within the 3.6 range.

Seems a lot of acid, and i'm hesitant to add that much without asking for input. Curious on thoughts/experiences from others. Has adding a single lug of grapes throw off the pH that much for any others? As this is first time i'm adding grapes to a bucket, maybe it's not all that much out of line??

My thought on the acid addition would be to start with 1/4 of the amount and retest. See how much that changes it and go a little more as needed. Just go slow and add less than what you think you need so you don't drop the pH to low.

18lbs of grapes on its own will yield 1.0-1.25 gallons of juice. That is less than 20% of your total, including the bucket. I can't imagine that the grapes had that big an impact. I'd stir it up VERY well and retest. If you get the same result, do as was suggested and add 1/4 of the estimated required amount.

Back