Adding Fruit to Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traveler

Junior
Reaction score
Using inexpensive kits I have done a fair amount of blending and am happy with the results.
Now I wish to add fresh fruit to the wines both red & white as I have heard that this can even open up another avenue to winemaking. Can anyone give me some advice any maybe tell me of their experiences? This is another step on my march to making wine from scratch! :b

Thanks
Joe

The more you add the bigger fruit flavor you are going to wind up with. I would freeze it first to help it break down, find some kind of a ferment bag to put it in, (a nice source is paint strainer bags from your local paint store. Think the 5 gal. ones are only a couple of bucks.) Put the fruit in the bag, get some pectic enzime and add it to the must along with the fruit. Try to crush the fruit in some way to help the juice get out. Smash by hand, use a 2X4 if it is a hard fruit, something to break the skins up well. Let it sit for at least 12 hrs,then check the s.g. The fruit can add some extra sugar to the must. Now you should check the acid level. After this, add the nutrients, energizer, tannins, and pitch the yeast. After the ferment starts, stir once or twice a day. Forgot to say, I usually add half the nutrient, energizer up front and the other half at 1.050 or so.Rack it to secondary when it ferments to 1.010 or so or wait til it ferments dry. If waiting til dry, airlock the primary at 1.010. Rack to secondary, hit it with k-meta(campden) wait for it to degass or degass manually, let it clear, Now you can stabalize it, (k=meta and sorbate) wait a couple of days, sweeten and I usually wait a couple of weeks after it is sweetened to make sure it doesn't referment, then bottle it. Mostly patience. Good luck with it, Arne.

Back