RJ Spagnols Adding Chemicals

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdammer

Reaction score
So I started my CC Winery Washington Merlot on in May. It's been bulk again since then. I just bought a house and am moving at the end of the month so I have to bottle.

Should I add any sulphites to it when I bottle? I think Wade says he always ages these wines a year to start. How would it taste around Christmas?

Thanks!

Well it's six gallons but it's filled to the top of the neck. I could transport it but I really don't want to have to deal with it.

I'm sure you could truck your carboy over to the new place, but I'd be inclined to bottle just like you are. If it's clear, and if it's free of gas, I'd go ahead and bottle. And yes, I'd include 1/4 tsp of sulfites.

I've never made this kit, but it's safe to say most grape pack kits need at least a year to show their stuff. You could try one at Christmas, but I think that's a little early to expect much from it.

Jim

So I started my CC Winery Washington Merlot on in May. It's been bulk again since then. I just bought a house and am moving at the end of the month so I have to bottle.

Should I add any sulphites to it when I bottle? I think Wade says he always ages these wines a year to start. How would it taste around Christmas?

Thanks!

Oh, that's a nice wine! Washington produces great fruit-forward merlots.

We can help, but a few questions first:
Have you added any additional sulfites other than what came with the kit?
What was your schedule for adding it; howmuch each time? Every 3 months?
When was the last time you added sulfites?

If you bottle it now, bottle shock should be well over by Christmas. That wine should be somewhat drinkable by Christmas, but it may still be a little tart. Of course by Christmas it will be nothing like it will be in 18 months.

You should take a sip now so you can see where it is at 4 to 5 months.

If then only sulfites you have added up to this point were the ones that came with the kit then its time to add another 1/4 tsp. You could bottle now and it will probably just be coming around about Christamas but surley not up to where it will be after 1 1/2 years so make sure you save some for then to truly see what these graet kits can aspire to.

I've only added what came with the kit. When you guys add them while bulk aging do you just dump them in the top? Or do you stir it around at all?

I will definitely save some. It's my first red kit so I'm eager to drink. I'll be patient though. I should probably just go buy another 2 and start those while I drink a few of the merlots. I'm thinking the Ausie Meritage. I've heard nothing but great things.

when i bulk age for 3-4 months - i usually rack my wine and mix the sulfite powder in a little wine, then add it to the carboy, then gently stir it in.

Jon's approach sounds pretty good, mixing it in a little wine. I've always mixed it in a little water, but Jon's way is definitely better.

I usually rack to a clean carboy at least one extra time during the aging, often just 2 to 4 weeks before I plan to bottle. That's when I add the extra sulfites. Just put it in the receiving carboy before you rack into it. Then I generally just bottle straight from there.

Jim

So it's been in the bottle over a month. we tried a bottle and it tastes really good. Only thing is it still has a slight wine kit smell. More sulphery actually. I think I read somewhere that this goes away after roughly a year of aging. is that true?

I only added k meta once when bottling. only a 1/4 tsp

It would help to know what kit this is but yes both of those things do go away with time. Kit smell or taste is not sulfury though, its usually a sweetness. What have you added as far as sulfites?

It's the Winery Series Merlot with skin pack.

I did the kit instructions. Started in May. Bottled about two months ago and added a quarter tsp of k-meta

It smells a little sulphery. It's just not that good. Wine tastes pretty good.

It's kind of like the cheap kits I did when I first started. Tastes pretty good but there just isn't much for the nose.

Latest posts

Back