WineXpert WE Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my 1st wine kit. Will be racking to secondary this coming Sunday which per instructions would put bottling day on or around May 28. Was thinking of bulk aging for 3-4 months and bottling either the end of August or end of September. Would love to enjoy this with Christmas dinner with the family this year. Whatcha think will it be ready in time?

Is it a Private Reserve or lower end Classic kit? Lower end kit may be ok by then, a higher end kit will need more time IMO.

This is my 1st wine kit. Will be racking to secondary this coming Sunday which per instructions would put bottling day on or around May 28. Was thinking of bulk aging for 3-4 months and bottling either the end of August or end of September. Would love to enjoy this with Christmas dinner with the family this year. Whatcha think will it be ready in time?
If you are making a high end WE kit, I suggest you bulk age as you planned, siphon about a gallon of the wine out of your 6 gallon carboy and rack the rest to a 5 gallon carboy, add 1/4 teaspoon of K-Meta, top off the 5 gallon from the 1 gallon jug and then bottle the remainder from the 1 gallon jug. You might get 3 or 4 bottles to enjoy at Christmas. I would bulk age the 5 gallon at least a year total, 18 months would be better.

Where are you in Ohio? I live in Powell, just outside of Columbus.

If you are making a high end WE kit, I suggest you bulk age as you planned, siphon about a gallon of the wine out of your 6 gallon carboy and rack the rest to a 5 gallon carboy, add 1/4 teaspoon of K-Meta, top off the 5 gallon from the 1 gallon jug and then bottle the remainder from the 1 gallon jug. You might get 3 or 4 bottles to enjoy at Christmas. I would bulk age the 5 gallon at least a year total, 18 months would be better.

Where are you in Ohio? I live in Powell, just outside of Columbus.
Thanks for the advice Rocky. This seems like a best of both worlds option.

I’m located in Celina on the banks of Grand Lake.

Latest posts

Back