Adding bisulfite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUwiner

Reaction score
My Ken Ridge merlot has been bulk aging for about 2 months. I added sorbate and sulfite when it was transferred to the current container. Now that it's ready to bottle, do I need to added additional sulfite before bottling? If so, how is it mixed in the wine without disturbing the sediment in the carboy? It is really clear right now.

My Ken Ridge merlot has been bulk aging for about 2 months. I added sorbate and sulfite when it was transferred to the current container. Now that it's ready to bottle, do I need to added additional sulfite before bottling? If so, how is it mixed in the wine without disturbing the sediment in the carboy? It is really clear right now.
Two methods, although they are very similar:

1. put the k-meta in the bottom of a fresh sanitized carboy, and rack the wine into it, leaving the sediment behind.

2. rack the wine into a fresh sanitized carboy leaving the sediment behind, and then add the K-meta.

For no particular reason, I usually follow method #2.

Btw, which of the Ken Ridge Merlots are you making? (Not important to this q, but I'm nosy.)

Steve

The merlot is a Ken Ridge Classic. I have made several kits in this series and have been very satified with each of them.

The other Ken Ridge Classic kits I've made:
Pinot Noir
Gewurztraminer
Valpolicella
Viognier

Im usually the method 1 guy just to help prevent the overflow which adding the powder can sometimes bring to the surface by releasing trapped C02 molecules.

In either method, isn't it better to dissolve the K-Meta in a little wine first?

Yep, that being said I dont always do it when I rack onto it and I never have a problem that way. I dont use tablets though either.

The merlot is a Ken Ridge Classic. I have made several kits in this series and have been very satified with each of them.

The other Ken Ridge Classic kits I've made:
Pinot Noir
Gewurztraminer
Valpolicella
Viognier
Ken Ridge Classic Merlot is a standard in our house. We prefer the KR Showcase German Gewurztraminer (made dry) though. Wasn't that Viognier the top kit in the 2010 Winemaker Mag competition?

Steve

OK,let me ask this, if you are 6 months in and planning on bulk aging a year (or more)- how do you add the K meta? At 6 months, I am not planning on racking, do I just put 1/4 tsp in? Or do you automatically rack? thanks in advance!

If there is no lees (sediment) in there then there is no reason to rack your wine. At that point I will dissolve the mket in a tiny bit of warm water or wine whetehr it be extracted from this wine or a different bottle and then add it in and stir it. You should be adding more meta every 3-4 months of aging.

I thought the general rule was to add 1/4 tsp every 3-4 months.

I followed that rule blindly for 12 months then started testing. I found my levels were not dropping like they were supposed to. So if I bottled a kit at say 8mo. I had added the initial pack when stabilizing, then 1/4 tsp 90 days later and then another 1/4 tsp at bottling. All sounds good right.

Every single wine I have opened reeks of sulfite on the nose. It takes a full one hour of decanting to get the sulfite smell to drop low enough to actually smell the wine.

I have switched to adding only the supplied sulfite and then nothing else. I will of course do a full blown Aeration/Oxidation free sulfite analysis before I bottle and adjust the SO2 if necessary based on the results as well as the pH of the wine.

No more blind additions of sulfite for this winemaker.

Latest posts

Back