Adding apples and red peppers to must?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhetoric

Junior
Reaction score
I'm wine making in Japan where most of the chemicals and equipment are not easily available: No wine making stores. I noted the importance of acid blend in making a Blueberry batch and a Kiwi/Strawberry batch. I can add some lemon juice (though there should be enough citric from those fruits) for the citric, some raisins, dates, black tea, and leftover grape pulp for the tanic, but I'm wondering about the Malic. How about if I blend up or dice some apples and apple skins and throw that in the must? Will that yield some malic acid?

As for the lack of campden tablets, I do sterilize everything and run the fruit briefly under boiling water first, but I'm wondering if I add some dried red pepper to the must when I'm making it? I realize the spice will carry though a bit, but thought that might be interesting as well. I was also thinking of cloves, as that has some antimicrobial properties.

I'm planning to add some papaya peel for the pectic enzyme, when I can find some.
Might include some of the flesh of the fruit as well as the pips, for flavor. I'm also adding some bea pollen as nutrient. Thoughts?

most fruit wines may not benefit with the addition of malic acid. The blue berry wine should have enough acid without any addition. I would ferment the fruit wines without any additions. I would then perform bench trials with the additives you propose to see if there is any benefit. soaking the wine in the additive should provide enough acid etc. to justify additions in the future. I would question that the addition of red pepper would advance the taste of any fruit wine.

Back