Adding acidulated water after fermentation has started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After a bit of a short notice ability to get some grapes, I have started this year's vintage. Unfortunately the grapes were a bit overripe, with the Baume coming in a touch under 17! I'm a bit of a newbie, so I didn't realise sugar dilution was a thing until after I had pitched the yeast. The yeast was pitched on Monday, so has been fermenting happily for three days now. I would like to add a bit of acidulated water to bring the Baume retrospectively down to around 15.5, is there any concerns with doing this after fermentation has started? I've got about 200L of must, and plan to add 10L of acidulated water. Recognise some of the sugar would have already been converted, but assume the dilution ratio would be approximately the same.

Thanks!

Thanks, appreciate the response! Added 10L of water and 75g tartaric acid. Baume went from 13 to 12.2. not as big a drop as I had hoped, still deciding whether to add another 5L.

Cheers

Thanks mate, appreciate the response. I ended up adding 10L on Thursday then another 10L on Sunday. Pressed off last night and it all appears to be going well and tasting really good!

Latest posts

Back