Adding a little extra oak to a Pinot Noir?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just picked up a MM Alljuice Pinot Noir on sale last week and got it today. This kit comes with only 30gm oak chips.

I don't want to over oak this kit but would would adding an extra 60gm of oak chips do?

Pinot's are not known to be heavy on oak but 30gms seems kinda wimpy.

Thoughts?

When I make my CA all juice I add 1 1/2 cups of med toast oak.
That being said you oak to YOUR taste.

Just looked up the Wine Expert Kits and they are adding 60 gms to their high end kits. No one else list the quantity on the website it seems.

I realize its all a matter of taste BTW. 30 just seemed a tad light, so thinking maybe an extra 30 gms.

Mike,

Jim Cook gave me a little pointer and recommended that I check out the specs (if available) of some of my favorite producers of specific varietals and look for clues in the oak and yeast. I would make the same recommendation to you.

If you can't find it on their website, call the winery and ask them. I've had the good fortune to visit a lot of wineries in Northern California and I've always been impressed by the collegial nature of the wine makers. They seem to share everything with every one. Kind of like this site.

Maybe it's something in the wine?

BTW, let us know how it goes.

Mike, this was the first wine I ever made. I made it last December and bottled it this past October. I followed the instructions to the letter.

I tasted a 375 bottle of it this past weekend. The sulfite aroma was still present but after decanting for 30 minutes was gone. The wine has the great flavor of the pinot noir grape. I tasted some cherry and raspberry in my glass. It is, at this point a light garnet in color. The oak was, for me, perfect. There is a hint of vanilla but it didn't overpower the fruit and a slight mouth feel of tannin. I am looking forward to this for Thanksgiving and roasted turkey.
smiley1.gif

Hmmm.

Maybe I should leave well enough alone especially since this is my first Pinot Noir kit.Perhaps a call to Jedi Master George is in order here!

Thanks for the tasting notes Admiral and do let us know how it taste with that Turkey next week!

Back