Quantcast

Acid

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

BobF

Banned
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I finally got around to stabalizing and back-sweetening a few batches that were ready. Peach, apple, apple-cherry and a strawberry.

Up to this point I just followed recipes for acid additions up front and didn't bother with post-ferment adjustments. Well, I finally picked up an acid test kit and made acid adjustment part of the process.

Holy Wine Gawd - what a difference even a small adjustment makes!!

Weak flavors pop right out with as little as .5g/L worth of adjustment!

If you're going blind on acid, do yourself a favor - spend less than $10 on an acid test kit. It is worth it!!!!!

NOTE: Make sure you adjust the acid BEFORE you do any sweetening. Sweetness pops out along with the flavor.

Leanne

Fiesty Winer
Reaction score
Yes, it is so worth it! I do this so often now. The hidden flavours just rise and the tongue gets so much more pleasure from the wine.

surlees

Reaction score
I did the same thing with a commercial wine. It was a Rodney Strong Charbono. Cost me $35. When I first tasted it, I said to my wife, "This wine is flabby and dull." I tested the pH and it was 4.0. I couldn't believe a well respected winery would even bottle a wine with a pH that high. So, I added enough tartaric acid to increase the acidity to pH 3.40. The difference was amazing! It was transformed completely to the wine it should have been all along.

Fred

BobF

Banned
Reaction score
I did the same thing with a commercial wine. It was a Rodney Strong Charbono. Cost me $35. When I first tasted it, I said to my wife, "This wine is flabby and dull." I tested the pH and it was 4.0. I couldn't believe a well respected winery would even bottle a wine with a pH that high. So, I added enough tartaric acid to increase the acidity to pH 3.40. The difference was amazing! It was transformed completely to the wine it should have been all along.

Fred
I did the same with a cheap jug of Carlo Rossi!

It didn't help ;-)

BShuhart

Junior
Reaction score
Late arrival on this thread, but thought people might like to see an Acid test with pictures. I created these files in 2008 and sent them to 2 other blog sites for distribution, so I may as well upload them here. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

Attachments

BenK

Reaction score
what acid test are you getting for $10. I already have a ph meter.

Latest posts