Acid test question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanie

Reaction score
I tested the Cayuga must twice for acid and I used 9 ccs. before I got the color change. Does that mean my acid is high or low?

Joan said:
I tested the Cayuga must twice for acid and I used 9 ccs. before I got the color change. Does that mean my acid is high or low?

note the amount of reagent used and multiply by .25 9ml X .25=2.25 it looks to be extra high.
9 ml Seems strange because the little graduated dropper only holds 3ml ((at least thats what mine holds))which i think are the same as a cc-- I have done only 2 acid tests so far and never had to use the full 3 ml

Im just looking at my crosby and baker acid test kit instructions and im as far from an experienced tester as you can get.
Its 4 am here and im just reading the instructions from my kit.

Wish i coud be if better help Joan

I would assume you are using a standard acid test kit where take a 15 cc sample and add 3 drops of phenolphthalein, a pH indicator. Then add the sodium hydroxide slowly while stirring until you reach a color change in the sample. Each cc of solution represents 0.1% TA. So if you used9cc of solution before you saw a color change, the TA of your must equals 0.90%.
I am not real familiar with this varietal but the acid seems to be a bit high. How do you plan to finish the wine...dry or sweet?

Older sodium hydroxide that has been opened and exposed to the air could cause an improper reading.

You assumed correctly, Masta!

Cayuga's are a hybrid grown in the north and my numbers are right with in line with juice records from the last 5 years.

Angell Wine said:
Your right Scotty 1ml = 1cc

How old were you when you took the photo for your avatar
smiley1.gif

Masta, this sounds like the kit I am using. Do you know if the NaOHsolution in it is supposed to be .1 or .2? The kit when I opened it had .1 in it, and when making a blueberry wine back in Mar, seemed to make sense. Ibegan to question myself when I made a strawberry wine months laterfrom scratch, started at .65 w/acid blendand addedthree cans of Welchesfrozen white grape concentrateto five gallons at first racking in secondary. Acid shot up to over 1.2%. Wasn't sure if active fermentation effected readings. Possible bad chemicals. Next trip to store bought replacement bottlefor LD carlson kit, and found this one at 1/5 normal or .2. To add more confusion, the bottle that orig came with the LDkit, .1 is Crosby/Baker, and the new one is LD Carlson, the 1/5. Almost every book I read has a different take on this, diluting/multiplying, etc.Is that much acid to be expected in the frozen concentrates? I've read some of the posts here andalmost seems like theyare adding more concentrate than sugar, I wonder what some of their readings were.
LT

I am surprised to hear that the TA of your batch jumped from .65% to 1.2% after adding 3 cans of Welches concentrate and don't remember anyone talking about this issue before.
smiley5.gif

I believe there is an issue using different concentrations of Sodium Hydroxide. The best I can tell the acid test kits from LD Carlson come with a .2N or 1/5Sodium Hydroxidesolution and the Crosby and Baker come with a .1N or 1/10 Sodium Hydroxide solution.

A .1N solution is 4 grams of Sodium Hydroxide in 1 Liter of water.

A .2N solution is 8 grams of Sodium Hydroxide in 1 Liter of water.

What I don't know at the moment is if the instructions included in the Crosby & Baker kit use a different calculation than the LD Carlson kit (1cc/ml NaOH = .1% TA) to determine the TA.

Does anyone have a C&B acid test kit with a .1N Sodium Hydroxide solution than can check the instructions how to perform the test?

That sounds like good news. If the LD Calson's kits actually come with LD Carlon 1/5 acid solution, (go figure),then my readings probably were off and my acid is not really as high as I thought. I wondered at the different brand on the bottle when I opened the kit but since I didn't know any better, didn't give it much thought. It wasn't until I went for a fresher bottle, that I realized there are different concentration available. Someone must have swapped it on the shelf. I just ameloriated an Ocean Spray grape/cranberry/blackberry juicemust witha couple cups of watertwo days ago. I pitched yeast last night, guess I can check again with the .2to see if I now need to add acid blend. Might be a reason for me to increase batch to 2 gallons.
smiley36.gif
Calculation wise, if 1ml of .2 solution=.1% acid, then 1ml of .1 solution should equal .05% acid, or use twice as much to neutralize, 14ml=.7%. Looked up LD Carlson's site, didn't see any accessible info on the kit.
LT

Latest posts

Back