Acid Levels Off The Charts! Need To Reduce ASAP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadwarriorsvt

Reaction score
So I started my lilikoi (passion fruit) must tonight. Instead of using lots of fruit, I started with about 3.5 gallons of pure lilikoi juice that I steam juiced. I added 5 cans of Welch's White Grape concentrate, some yeast nutrient, enegizer, 1/2 tsp. grape tannin, 5 k-meta tabs, and some lilikoi syrup (a little too much) to SG of 1.102. When I tested my acid with my acid titration kit, ( 0.2N) I added all 10cc's of sodium hydoxide with NO color change. Added another 5cc's and barely a change. Instead of a 15cc sample of pure must, I tested a second time using only 5cc's of must and 10cc's of water, for my 15cc sample. With only 1/3 of actual must, it took 7cc's of sodium hydroxide to get a constant color change. So if my math is correct, theoretically, my acid levels is at .21%? Even calcium carbonate will only reduce acid about .4% if I read the tutorial on here correct. Should I cut the must with water in addition to calcium carbonate? And where can I purchase calcium carbonate. My LHBS doesn't carry it. Need some advice asap as my must is awaiting some pectic enzyme in 12 hours, then some yeast to get it all going. I haven't used my new MW101 ph meter since it came with a dried out probe. Directions said to soak it in some type of solution if the probe goes dry, but I don't have their solution. I did use those cheap, less accurate PH test strips. It looks like the PH may be around 3.0-3.2 +/-. All advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
I think you mean 2.10% :)
0.21% would be low TA

Just to make sure though.... Your TA ingredients are still good right? I started getting off the wall readings like this and realized my ingredients were 1 1/2 years old..

Yeah you're pretty much left with dillution.. Most of the online vendors probably sell some sort of calcium carbonate but as you've realized it'll only help the situation "so much" & you're on a bit of a time limit

You could cold-stabilize it, post-fermentation but that'd only remove about the same amount as calcium carbonate.. The two together would lower the TA a whole point, if you're lucky, which still puts you at 1.10% - which is about the level you want when making a really really sweet dessert wine like ice wine :) probably not your aim here

But i wonder.. If you steam juiced the fruit - this would dillute it some already... Was the acidity hiding in the syrup? Or maybe in both..

I would go with Potassium Bicarbonate w/ Cold Stabilizaton at 26* for 3-4 weeks.

Retest and see where you are at.

If you are still high - I would either add sugar to balance it out - or blend it down..

I'll check the Expiration date on the acid test kit, but I'm "assuming" its up to date since I just purchased it from a vendor on here. Perhaps some calcium carbonate pre-ferment and some potassium bicarbonate with cold stabilizaton post ferment. I'll also probably dilute it a bit with some water also. I've got anough pure juice that I'll be good on flavor, plus I've got extra for an F-Pac if I want.

Do any of the experienced wine makers see a problem with using calcium carbonate before fermentation and some potassium bicarbonate with cold stabilization after?

I'll check the Expiration date on the acid test kit, but I'm "assuming" its up to date since I just purchased it from a vendor on here. Perhaps some calcium carbonate pre-ferment and some potassium bicarbonate with cold stabilizaton post ferment. I'll also probably dilute it a bit with some water also. I've got anough pure juice that I'll be good on flavor, plus I've got extra for an F-Pac if I want.

If you use plain water, it will reduce (dilute) the acid and raise the PH. Might be just what you need as long as the water doesn't dilute the resulting wine too much.

Do any of the experienced wine makers see a problem with using calcium carbonate before fermentation and some potassium bicarbonate with cold stabilization after?

The calcium will remain in the wine.

Using potassium bicarbonate with cold stabilization will drop this out of the wine resulting in a better taste..

The calcium will remain in the wine.

Using potassium bicarbonate with cold stabilization will drop this out of the wine resulting in a better taste..

Ahh! I knew there was a reason for potassium > calcium

Atleast potassium bicarbonate + CS stuck in my head :)

I have absolutely no clue about passion fruit wine but don't forget to use your sense of taste first and chemistry as a backup. Don't think for a second that passion fruit should conform to a typical wine in so far as chemistry is concerned. I have used potassium carbonate with good results if the acid is high. Remember to add the powder to a new baby and rack the high acid wine into it so you don't get a wine volcano.

OK, thanks for you guys advice. I think I'll develop a game plan from your advice. I'm comfortable with diluting the must a bit. That will raise the ph slightly and dilute the acid slightly, also helping lower the SG I got a little too high. The must had 3.5 gallons of pure juice and that took many, many gallons of pulp to get that much. I can thaw more pulp and steam juice it for an F-Pac if needed. Now I'll be searching for a friend with a freezer big enough for my 5 gallon carboy.

Just to give you guys some feedback, I went to my LHBS and he had some calcium carbonate in stock. I couldn't resist passing it up. Between the calcium carbonate and adding about a gallon of water, the acid is now in the 9-10% range and the SG dropped to 1.082. Thanks you to all who gave input. It really does help when you're thousands of miles in the Pacific and there is no one around here to draw knowledge from. I really do appreciate you guys & gals!

Back