ABV

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicola

Reaction score
Hi looking for help calculating my ABV

I started at 1088 and went to 990 way to dry so I added more sugar after stabilising and clearing and brought it back to 1000 what is my ABV? Also when I bottled it was really really clear, and there was quite a bit of splashing into the bottles and some bubbles I let them go down as best I could and corked, now there is some slight clouding in bottles?
Thanks if you can help

I started at 1088 and went to 990 way to dry so I added more sugar after stabilising and clearing and brought it back to 1000 what is my ABV? Also when I bottled it was really really clear, and there was quite a bit of splashing into the bottles and some bubbles I let them go down as best I could and corked, now there is some slight clouding in bottles?
Thanks if you can help

Your ABV is in the 13.1 / 13.2 range. The added sugar won’t change that unless it ferments, which you’ll know about shortly if it happens.

Your ABV is in the 13.1 / 13.2 range. The added sugar won’t change that unless it ferments, which you’ll know about shortly if it happens.
Haha won’t I just I hope not I don’t all the right things to try and stop it but it’s outside bottled just in case haha thanks

Thanks if you can help

I agree with John, but let me ask: what exactly did you do for "stabilising and clearing"? What specifically did you add?

Hopefully, you won't experience refermentation and all will be well!

I agree with John, but let me ask: what exactly did you do for "stabilising and clearing"? What specifically did you add?

Hopefully, you won't experience refermentation and all will be well!
I don’t really know tbh this is my first hopefully successful batch, am totally new to this it was a kit am using so it’s step by step and I completed them all before adding the sugar, I had to stabilise then add finings

. . Also when I bottled it was really really clear, and there was quite a bit of splashing into the bottles and some bubbles I let them go down as best I could and corked, now there is some slight clouding in bottles?
What is the time between starting, stabilizing, sweetening, bottling, and now clouding? , , how big a batch? or was it a kit?

I don’t like to hear clouding since it makes me wonder if the yeast are still active. From the original post “some bubbles” it could be the carboy wasn’t degassed, or if there was a few days between sweeten and bottling it could be refermenting.
I would test open a bottle and see if it foams like a beer or soda. If I thought it was refermenting I would cool it, ex in the garage here up north or a garage fridge down In Texas, and use it as quickly as possible.

What is the time between starting, stabilizing, sweetening, bottling, and now clouding? , , how big a batch? or was it a kit?

I don’t like to hear clouding since it makes me wonder if the yeast are still active. From the original post “some bubbles” it could be the carboy wasn’t degassed, or if there was a few days between sweeten and bottling it could be refermenting.
I would test open a bottle and see if it foams like a beer or soda. If I thought it was refermenting I would cool it, ex in the garage here up north or a garage fridge down In Texas, and use it as quickly as possible.
It was a kit, I actually can’t remember the step by step but I followed it I think 24 hrs with stabiliser and 2 days for finings, then I added sugar and left for nearly 2 days with air lock, and it was approx 18 litres. I have opened a bottle and no gas came out like that, and I have it all sat out side cause it’s quite cold here, would post a picture is I knew how lol

Back