ABV from Munton's kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcfryer

Reaction score
Having started two Munton's kits I had a gravity reading of 1.040 each time just before pitching the yeast. The first a Continental pilsner kit was in a primary for 7 days and a secondary for 14 days and still had a gravity reading of 1.012 for a difference of .028 x 131 =3.668 ABV
The kit packaging suggests a ABVof 4.5% . Please tell me how to get this 4.5% ABV . You will need a spread of around .035 to get the 4.5 % ABV.
After drinking a few of the Pilsners I get the feeling the ABV is lower thanwhatstore bought is. Disapointed a bit. :(

Its one of many reasons I dont make or really care about these Muntons kits, they are pretty unpredictable. Step it up to the Brewers Best kits and youll have a much better product!

ok thanks Wade. I now have made a india pale ale from Muntons and have a docklands porter in the works. The pale ale kit was similar to the continental pilsner I first made . Meaning the ABV seems to be about the same. Maybe a stretch to get a 4%. With the Docklands Porter I added 2 lbs of corn sugar bringing the gravity up to 1.064 at the start. I am expecting a 1.019 or so ending gravity reading. 64-19=45 x 131=5.89% or so. ABV. Hope it wont be too sweet.

I have a imperial stout up next and have an extra 2 lbs of corn sugar for this batch as well.

Next I want to take your advise and try a True Brew Kit. Where can I get read of the instructions packaged withsay a true brew black lager kit or an true brew october fest kit?

thanks, Ben

Latest posts

Back